Engine Rebuild in progress but need some help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Rebuild in progress but need some help

As a result of my earlier thread I have elected to rebuild my 3.4L engine. I have gotten started but have came to a snag. I have reached the fuel injector rail but seem to be having a problem removing it. The Chiltons firebird/camaro manual tells me to "remove the fuel injector rail" with no further assistance but it doesnt seem taht the fuel injectors in a V shape would be able to pull straight up. It feels like im trying to pull a triangle block through a square. I have allready unbolted the Upper Manifold so its lose and can move around quite freely but it cannot be removed till i get the feul injector rail out of the way. I have included some pics of where im at.
    Thanks in advance

After looking at the pic's in Chiltons of the V6 rail assembly, I can see why it might be difficult. But if it is anything like pulling the V8 rails, you need to stand on one side of the engine, trying to pull the injectors loose on the opposite side. The injectors can feel "stuck" if the assembly has not been pulled apart before. In other words, stand on the drivers side of the engine, reach across the rail, and pull it back toward you , trying to pull the passenger side injectors out in a straight line. The drivers side injectors should have enough "give" at the O-rings to allow the passenger side injectors to pull out completely while the drivers side stay inserted. When the passenger side injectors come out, move to the opposite side and pull the rail so the drivers side come straight out.

As I indicated, they can feel "stuck" and may take a bit of force. Just make sure you have disconnected the fuel lines and they are not tangled up in something. Make sure you have all the harness connectors off. Make sure you have the two bolts out. (You are reading the section on "Fuel Rail Assembly", and not just relying on the simple one liner under "Fuel Injectors"?)

If the above fails, you could try sliding the retaining clips off the injectors on one side of the rail, and trying to pull the raill off the injectors, rather than pulling the injectors out of the manifold.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Removing fuel pipes from fuel rail

I'm working with LouerAdun on rebuilding the 94 Camaro 3.4 V6 engine. We are trying to remove the fuel rail from the intake manifold. I'm sure it would be easier to get the fuel rail off if we removed the fuel pipes from the fuel rail first (see picture included with LouerAdun's previous post in this thread).

The two fuel pipes don't want to pull out of the fuel rail. We have even tried clamping on to them with vise grips and prying them up, but nothing doing. Is there a secret to this, or do they just pull straight out? Have been hesitant to put too much force on them. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comment

Fuel lines require a disconnect tool. They look like a thin collar that wraps around the pipe and slid into the connection to release the internal clip.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Joe, but this isn't an in-line connector. It's where the fuel line connects to the fuel rail (see photo in first message of this thread). There is a retainer that secures the fuel pipes in the fuel rail, which we have loosened and swiveled out of the way. But the tubes won't pull out of the fuel rail. If someone can tell me for sure that they just pull straight out, I'll try applying as much pressure as necessary to see if they budge. But I don't want to break anything just because I didn't know about some trick that is required to get them out.

Comment

Got the fuel injector rail off. along with the intake manifold. As of now the fuel injector is still hanging to the side of the car because we still cant get the fuel lines out from the injector rail

Took alot of pulling but the injectors finally popped out.
            Thanks for the reccomendations!

Comment

As Joe said, at some point the metal fuel line that starts at the intake manifold transitions to a plastic fuel line. At that juncture, you need a 3/16" (or similar, V6 is probably different than V8) "fuel line disconnect tool". A little plastic disc that slips over the line, and inserts into the back of the connector, to release the little spring clips.

You are not going to get the metal fuel lines out of the rail, at least not if the V6 attachment is similar to the V8.
              Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

K thanks, we jsut assumed it was possible to take the fuel lines out of the rail because of the torx screw and bracket that looked like it was holding them on. ATM we dont have the tool to remove the fuel lines so the lines/fuel rail assembly is just over the side of the car. It should be enough out of the way as is for us to do what we need to do. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
                X