93 lt1 in a 95 z28 HELP!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93 lt1 in a 95 z28 HELP!!

I am putting my 93 lt1 from my old camaro into the new 95 z28 with an auto tranny. I crashed my 93 about a year ago w no insurance and put about 30 grand into my car so I just picked up a 95 from a salvage yard but has auto. I already cut the holes for the clutch shifter etc. But what do I do about the electrical harness. Im not going to swap that out tooo difficult. Someone told me I have to take a couple of the wires of the connector that goes in the auto tranny and make my own connectors to go in the manual tranny. I hope im making sense but its really hard to explain. Basically im just throwing everything into the 95(engine, harness, computer) from my 93 thinking it will fire right up. Everything plugs right into eachother so its compatable, right? I dont want to start my car and have the airbags blow in my face!!! ANYONE PLEASE HELP

Originally posted by forbez28
    I am putting my 93 lt1 from my old camaro into the new 95 z28 with an auto tranny. I crashed my 93 about a year ago w no insurance and put about 30 grand into my car so I just picked up a 95 from a salvage yard but has auto. I already cut the holes for the clutch shifter etc. But what do I do about the electrical harness. Im not going to swap that out tooo difficult. Someone told me I have to take a couple of the wires of the connector that goes in the auto tranny and make my own connectors to go in the manual tranny. I hope im making sense but its really hard to explain. Basically im just throwing everything into the 95(engine, harness, computer) from my 93 thinking it will fire right up. Everything plugs right into eachother so its compatable, right? I dont want to start my car and have the airbags blow in my face!!! ANYONE PLEASE HELP
    The 93 was speed density - the 95 is mass air. The harness and PCM will be different.

The 93 had an unvented optispark - the 95 has a vented.

If you have the time, I would recommend converting to some of the parts off the 95. You can use the block and heads from the 93, but install the vented opti stuff on it. You'll need the cam, timing cover, opti and a couple other small parts swapped from motor to motor.

I also recommend keeping the MAF setup from the 95 along with the OBD1 PCM.

It sounds like a fun project!
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by forbez28
      If youre swapping the engine, tranny AND harness/PCM, I would think you'd be O.K. Its just a matter of whether or not the PCM will plug into and work with all of the things on the interior side of the firewall (ie. guages, lights). I would look at the connectors and make sure they are the same and then get a wiring diagram of both cars and check them out side by side. I now the diagnostic connectors are different......but other than that, I have no first hand experince to lend......
      96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
      11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Ya, it looks like it would work but the only thing is the trans situation. I was reading some other threads and someone said you can get a harness to convert a auto to a manual so im gonna look into it. As far as the swapping of the 95 stuff, opti, cam, etc etc. I dont want to do that stuff but if I have 2 then I guess I have to but I just want to finish this project. I did look at diagrahms of the electrical side by side and they arent that different. If I have my old computers from the old car then it should work fine I would think. But could be wrong thats why im here typing away for help!!! thanks guys

Comment

The 1993 6-speed cars had lower ratios in several gears matched to a higher ratio in the rear end. The 1993 transmission ratios will be fun with the 1995 rear end ratio.

Post some pictures of your project!
          Tracy
          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
          Current Mods:
          SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

what state do u live in? in cali they want the engine to be as old if not newer then the vehicle it is going in so that it can adhere to the emitions standards of atleased the year the car/truck was made

Comment

Working...
            X