New and In need of Guidance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New and In need of Guidance

Just joined the site and looks to me like theres alot of knowledge around here. I just picked up a stock 96' Z28 and am looking to drop $1,500-2,000 so I can help the cause and put more pony cars to shame. Can you guys help me out with what part types and brands to go with to get the most outta my LT1? Any Advice is appreciated, thanks

The best place to start is inhaling and exhaling.

Get a cold air kit.............$179
    Cat-back exhaust............$300-$600
    160* Thermostat.............$15
    TB Bypass..................$15
    Ported MAF ends...............$80-$100
    Headers..................$400-$600
    Gears....................$500

Those right there will make it feel like a brand new car. Then you just have to work on the suspension so you can get all the extra power to the ground.

Randy
    99 TA "RBLUTA" - NBM, M6, Whisper Lid, SLP Fan Switch, 160* Thermo, SLP LM, BMR STB & LCA's.

***SOLD*** It will be missed!!
    93 Formula "FRMLAV8" -383 Stroker

Comment

Is it auto or manual?? If auto look into a shift kit and tranny cooler with a higher stall torque converter and if it is manual a short throw shifter will really improve the feel of the shifts. All suggestions in the other post are perfect starter mods and will really wake up your car.
      97 SS #C007
      Polo Green w/ tan leather A4
      SLP headers, Loudmouth, Koni SA, Spohn LCA, Spohn PHR, Spohn relo brackets, pro-kit, B&M Stage II Shift Kit, air foil, 160 therm, LT4 KM, BFG KDW

Comment

deffinitly headers and exaust i installed headers with y pipe, 3" cat, and 3 inch exaust and took .55 sec off my quarter mile for about 700. After that i would go with a cold air intake and gears 373 if its auto, 410 if its a 6 speed. Also if its auto go with the shift kit.
        1994 Camaro Z28 Bolton's, stall, 275 nitto's - SOLD
        1998 Camaro SS looking for 120+MPH N/A

Comment

Alright, thanks and a couple more question to go with it. Ive been reading older posts and hearing that Flowmaster exhaust gets good sound but loses HP, ive been thinking about pickin up Borla's but want some expert advice. And im assuming just go with good ol fashioned K&N cold air. On headers i've got no clue since just about everything ive looked at is illegal in California, Regulations=Bad. Any suggestions? Plus the other parts im not sure what brands, any tips would really help, but at least I know what to look at.

Comment

Ive got an auto, i learned to drive stick pretty well a month too late.

Comment

Originally posted by GordyZ96
              Ive been reading older posts and hearing that Flowmaster exhaust gets good sound but loses HP, ive been thinking about pickin up Borla's but want some expert advice.
              A lot of people here like the Borla or the SLP Loudmouth. Both are very good and come with a very good warranty.

The Borla is almost twice as expensive as the LM but it's sound level can be adjusted with orifice plates or even an electrical cut-out.

The LM is as it's name says LOUD, but a lot of people don't care and just love it.

I would like to get the Borla for the fact that I can adjust the sound, just in case the local law has a problem with it.

Also check out www.ws6.com for some good dyno results on various mods.
              97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

thanks alot, dyno results for mods is just the thing i need

Comment

wish i could find a site that tests all brands and gives dyno tests, any such thing or do companys that make weak exhaust keep that type of stuff from happening?

Comment

just keepin the thread alive, anyone else have any insight?

Comment

I had the Borla on my 93 Formula. I loved it, it sounds incredible, but like they said it is about $600. I also had the electric adjuster on it so I could adjust the sound from in the car - that was my favorite toy.

I have the SLP LM on my 99 TA, and to be honest I like it even more than the Borla - as far as sound goes. The borla does have better tips though.

Since it is an auto definitely think about a shift improver. B&M makes a module that plugs into the tranny and lets you switch between normal and performance shifting.

Also, like they said, with an A4 you want 3.73 gears.

Also if you do make all those upgrades I would look at having the PCM reprogrammed to compensate for the mods, and the tranny can be programmed to shift the way you want - so you won't need the B&M shift module.

Randy
                      99 TA "RBLUTA" - NBM, M6, Whisper Lid, SLP Fan Switch, 160* Thermo, SLP LM, BMR STB & LCA's.

***SOLD*** It will be missed!!
                      93 Formula "FRMLAV8" -383 Stroker

Comment

yea, the adjustments sound like a nice option but I dont care if my cars silent or eardrum piercingly loud as long as the exhaust pulls out the most power. So far im feeling pretty good about buying the stuff, but On the Ends and Headers, are there any brands that happen to stand out among the crowd and pull higher RW gains?

Comment

Working...
                        X