Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Late model Copo Camaro police cars?!?!?!?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late model Copo Camaro police cars?!?!?!?

I purchase salvage cars for a living, and possibly could have come across a rare piece. The car is a 2001 z-28 police car from South Carolina (wrecked hard in the front). It has SO-Z28 on the fenders and has a WS-6 style power steering cooler in the upper radiator hose. It also has the front and rear rotors cross drilled. I was told by a guy that works at the local chevy dealer who ran the VIN for me that this car was a rare Copo car done in Chicago for special police orders and has lots of rare option codes. He says only 1300 were built. It has different 16" wheels than I've ever seen before with Goodyear GS-C's. The center caps say SO-Z28. What is this car??? It is an automatic if it matters. Supposedly the computer comes with much more aggressive settings and no rev-limiters. True????

Is there anything else special about the car?? Just curious.

Thanks for any help.

Matt

Don,t know about the copo Camaro. But this morning on the radio, Paul Harvey I think, told a strory about a Camaro cop car down there in the states running down a crotch rocket at over 170 mph.
    1997 Trans Am WS6
    6 speed transmition
    Flow Master cat back
    other than that its stock

Comment

Never heard of the car. I thought COPO orders were a thing of the distant past.
      Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B (shoebox)
        Never heard of the car. I thought COPO orders were a thing of the distant past.

Me too. I have heard of first gen COPO (stands for Central Office Production Order, IIRC) Camaros (427s, drool ), but not 4th gen COPOs. To be honest I don't know if they made any, but hopefully someone on here knows something, I hope? I'm curious, now, too.
        1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
        Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
        Trans: TH700R4
        Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

is it possible for use to get the Vin # and/or RPO #'s????

I'd like to do some lookin around seein' what this car has.
          Richard Harvey Jr.
          '94 T/A LT1 (stock) - SOLD

Comment

yeah, I'll get you guys some pics and the VIN. It is a neat car that could be something special, or maybe not. Was the WS-6 power steering cooler and drilled rotors installed on all police cars???

Comment

Never heard of the drilled rotors at all. I don't see how the VIN is going to help prove anything. If there are any strange RPO codes, that would be something to look at.
              Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Could just be a B4C Camaro (police issue) that was modified by the local agency, or maybe it was aquired from a drug bust or unpaid taxes, etc.... Departments are known to keep what they want or need from drug busts and sell the rest. A modified Camaro would make a nice pursuit vehicle!
                Dave M
                Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

all 4th z28 police cars, option B4C, are stock z28's from GM with the exception of the pre drilled holes in the roof for the light bar.

this car must have recieved mods from elsewhere.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                  Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                  sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave M
                    Could just be a B4C Camaro (police issue) that was modified by the local agency, or maybe it was aquired from a drug bust or unpaid taxes, etc.... Departments are known to keep what they want or need from drug busts and sell the rest. A modified Camaro would make a nice pursuit vehicle!
                    Around here the cops use to not modify their cars, but I have seen a Ford Towncar with a black paint job, dark (look like 20% tint which is illegal in NC), and a brush guard on the front... So it could be...
                    Thanks
                    MaraSport

Comment

I have never seen any 4th gen camaro cop cars but i have seen 4th gen camaro state troopers down here in florida. THey are dark green, tan, and black i believe and look sweet as hell (unless their lights are on behind you).

Comment

Originally posted by Louer Adun
                        I have never seen any 4th gen camaro cop cars but i have seen 4th gen camaro state troopers down here in florida. THey are dark green, tan, and black i believe and look sweet as hell (unless their lights are on behind you).
                        Yah and round here black on the sides and front bumper and silver top and bonnet...
                        Thanks
                        MaraSport

Comment

The VIN# of the car is 2G1FP22G612138422

Let me know if you guys discover anything. The power steering cooler is really making me wonder.

Matt

Comment

Working...
                          X