Friday the 13th came early for me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friday the 13th came early for me

I had the T/A in the shop for over a day to have the intake leak fixed. They eventually called me on my cell saying that besides the intake, one of the heads was leaking too?? And of course they want more money for the repair too.

In the meantime I was out with my wife and her 90 Jag, when I noticed a puddle of some liquid from the front of the car when pulling out of a parking spot. So I stopped and got down on my knees and looked underneath the car and when you moved the wheel, you could see power steering fluid squirting out from somewhere!! Luckily we were around the corner of the mechanic that we trust to work on it. We left the jag there since I didn't want to drive it any further with almost out of fluid and the possibility of wrecking the pump.

So I call the GM dealer and have the shuttle bus pick us up and drop us off at home.

Now I have to wait until Monday because they have to order in some parts to change the head gaskets.

Not sure if I'm being had here, but how common are leaking head gaskets, or what could be causing this? The car was running just fine.

What is going to happen on the 13th?
    97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Originally posted by Black97
    I had the T/A in the shop for over a day to have the intake leak fixed. They eventually called me on my cell saying that besides the intake, one of the heads was leaking too?? And of course they want more money for the repair too.

In the meantime I was out with my wife and her 90 Jag, when I noticed a puddle of some liquid from the front of the car when pulling out of a parking spot. So I stopped and got down on my knees and looked underneath the car and when you moved the wheel, you could see power steering fluid squirting out from somewhere!! Luckily we were around the corner of the mechanic that we trust to work on it. We left the jag there since I didn't want to drive it any further with almost out of fluid and the possibility of wrecking the pump.

So I call the GM dealer and have the shuttle bus pick us up and drop us off at home.

Now I have to wait until Monday because they have to order in some parts to change the head gaskets.

Not sure if I'm being had here, but how common are leaking head gaskets, or what could be causing this? The car was running just fine.

What is going to happen on the 13th?
    I've never heard of a head leaking oil onto the outside of a motor... Is it possible? Usually when those gaskets fail it is around a cylinder bore, not at an outside edge.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Probably a valve cover leak. When my LT1 was stock, it leaked oil from the passenger valve cover in the rear. It also leaked from the oil fill tube.

Comment

Working...
      X