Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheapest place to get Autometer gauges...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheapest place to get Autometer gauges...

Hey guys,
    My stock tach is totaly messed up. The redline on my car is 5000. When I floor it, the tach PINS past 8000!!! I want to get a new tach for the car. Anyone know a cheap place to get a nice Autometer gauge?

Thanks in Advance,
    Mark B
    No F-Body right now

Originally posted by Mark B
    Hey guys,
    My stock tach is totaly messed up. The redline on my car is 5000. When I floor it, the tach PINS past 8000!!! I want to get a new tach for the car. Anyone know a cheap place to get a nice Autometer gauge?

Thanks in Advance,
    Mark B
    I would recommend finding a new guage cluster. I bet you could fix the problem for under $50, shipped.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

But then my Odometer will be wrong. Plus I am planning on getting a few other gauges, so they will all go together.
      No F-Body right now

Comment

Originally posted by Mark B
        But then my Odometer will be wrong. Plus I am planning on getting a few other gauges, so they will all go together.
        You can set an odometer to read whatever you want. Not a problem.
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

I have the same problem with my stock tach. It always reads too high. Actually, this is a very common problem on 3rd gens. No one really ever seems to know how to fix it, though, either (except for swapping in different gauge cluster that aren't already messed up, like TraceZ suggested).

The best place for Autometer gauges is probably Summit Racing or Jegs. They both carry a ton of gauges in stock and can ship them fast. Their prices are pretty much the same, too.

Just for reference, here's a shot of my Autometer 5" tachometer in my 3rd gen. Sorry, it's not a great pic, but it'll do.

1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
          Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
          Trans: TH700R4
          Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

I'd definitely get the gauges replaced. If you ever sold the car, the person would probably want all the factory stuff to work right. Plus, big tachs look tacky to me unless in a full on drag or race car. I had a problem with my tach and fuel level gauge in my 91 Caprice, and I got a brand new gauge package with mileage set to what I wanted for ~$50. Nobody would ever know unless I told them.
            "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Originally posted by MN6WS6
              I'd definitely get the gauges replaced. If you ever sold the car, the person would probably want all the factory stuff to work right. Plus, big tachs look tacky to me unless in a full on drag or race car. I had a problem with my tach and fuel level gauge in my 91 Caprice, and I got a brand new gauge package with mileage set to what I wanted for ~$50. Nobody would ever know unless I told them.
              Yeah, I totally agree. I thought my 5" would look really good, but at times it's just an eyesore because it's so big. Oh well.
              1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
              Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
              Trans: TH700R4
              Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

Mark I've got one for sale:

http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6562

Comment

Working...
                X