Need some advice in shorting the starter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice in shorting the starter

We have taken the engine down to just the bare minimums and cant seem to see any problems with it. We assumed we had a bent piston rod or two but we see no imediate damage. We tried turning the bolt on the crankshaft to rotate it around but it seems to be stuck pretty well and we dont want to strip the head off the bolt.
    The started should turn the engine but i think the computer knows too many sensors are dissconnected and wont let the starter run. We tried shorting the positive leads of the battery straight too the starter to no avail and were not sure how we can get the engine to turn over.
    Thanks in advance

Originally posted by Louer Adun
    We have taken the engine down to just the bare minimums and cant seem to see any problems with it. We assumed we had a bent piston rod or two but we see no imediate damage. We tried turning the bolt on the crankshaft to rotate it around but it seems to be stuck pretty well and we dont want to strip the head off the bolt.
    The started should turn the engine but i think the computer knows too many sensors are dissconnected and wont let the starter run. We tried shorting the positive leads of the battery straight too the starter to no avail and were not sure how we can get the engine to turn over.
    Thanks in advance
    Are the heads off or spark plugs out? The reason I ask is because if there is no comperession, it should be really easy to turn with the bolt on the end of the crank. The starter needs 3 things to run.

1) grounded by being attached to the engine
    2) + bat cable going to main terminal
    3) + on the trigger terminal (start)

If you have the cylinders open so there is no compression and it still wont turn easily, there is a problem.

Also make sure it is not in gear if it is a stick!
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Thanks for the help, I was finally able to get it to turn over with the bolt on the crankshaft with a 3 1/2 foot breaker bar and the help of another person. We knew there was a problem tahts why we were doing the rebuild. THe reason why it was stuck is because there is a bent piston rod and the bottom of the piston was rubbing on the driveshaft flywheel. As far as why the starter wouldn't kick in after we shorted the terminals mentioned im not really sure... Well time to order parts and get ready to reassemble everything.

Comment

Working...
      X