Need a reccomendation for parts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a reccomendation for parts

The problem has made itself known! Where would be the best place to get a new connecting rod/piston. And should the piston be replaced or sohuld i just replace the connectin rod. Finding connecting rods on the internet is a hard task and going to Chevrolet/GM really seems like it should be a last resort as it will probably be expensive as hell. Let me know what your reccomendations are and thanks for all your guidance through this project, oh and BTW watch out for them puddles with the camaro/fb air intake being so low!

There should be an Autozone nearby.... Just kidding!

Seriously though, there should definetely be some kind of engine shop or engine parts supplier somewhere in your area. This was the route I took because it's generally cheaper and getting parts takes almost no time. Just look in the phone book. If by chance there aren't any, than the internet is another option. Their are plenty of websites that sell engine kits. I would just use a search engine and search for "engine kits" or "engine rebuild kits." I don't personally know if any of these places are good or not, but someone here probably does.

Also, I would definetely get new pistons. I personally got as much new stuff as I could when I did my engine rebuild cuz' I didn't want to have to tear it down again any time soon, but that's just my point of view on it.

How many miles are on the motor?
    1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
    Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
    Trans: TH700R4
    Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

I have 106k miles on my car and only put about 5k or 6k miles on it a year and probably will get a new car before i would need to rebuild the engine again and i unfortunately do not have the money to spend on buying new pistons (being, and making minimum wage, and paying premiums on insurance makes money tight for me). I will try calling around to different machine shops and see if I can get a connecting rod via a local shop or I might need to buy a piston and connecting rod together. The pistons look pretty good and the chambers are VERY smooth with no ridge at the top where the pistons are at their highest.

What i think is interstig is that my original knock noise that i had from my engine was not from the bnt rod knocking on something internal, it was actually the flywheel on the driveshaft knocking on the bottom of the piston every time it came down.

Comment

Well i have called around to a few places and I'm having a hard time finding the conencting rod. If i had the V8 i wouldnt have any problem, a few places actually have it in stock but apparently they cant get the 6.4L V6 connecting rod or something. My searching on the internet also has came up with no results so I seem to be left only with the option of buying it from Chevy/GM... Are there any other options I have for this? Thanks

Comment

Have you called a dealer yet and asked them how much it would be? Sometimes the dealer prices aren't too bad. I'll try a search on the internet just to see if I can find anything.

One more thing, could you clarify what you wrote. You said some places have it in stock but can't get it. If you could just clarify because I'm confused .
          1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
          Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
          Trans: TH700R4
          Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

I'm sorry about that, what i was trying to say tehre was that if I wanted the connecting rod for the V8 i wouldnt have any trobule because all the local shops have it available. As far as the dealership it is unfortunately closed all weekend and is an option im going to investigate come monday.

Comment

Working...
            X