OH NOES! CAR WONT START "SECURITY?"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OH NOES! CAR WONT START "SECURITY?"

OK i have a 94 bird, everything is fine but one problem.. sometimes... once a week mabey, i will get in my car, and try crank it, it wont even crank the starter, the battery is fine, everything has good power, but i notice the Security light is on, on the dash! But what did i do? Nothing... so i leave my car, then come back.. wow it starts..
    Can anyone help?

Try cleaning the key (the little pellet resister) with alcohol.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

what is a pellet resistor? that black button with silver metal inside on the key?

Comment

dont post in all caps anymore.
        use small case letters.

thanks

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
        Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
        sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

yep!.
          Clean it, let it dry and try it.
          Hope the car can start..
          Doc
          97 A4 Pontiac Firebird Trans am with $everal mod$

Comment

Ok, thanks for the help all.. one more question.. Yaw know anywhere i can purchase a power lock buttons for the left and right doors, cause mine are froze.

Comment

I like to know things, what is that pellet on my key for? what does it do?

Comment

Originally posted by StolenBIRD
                I like to know things, what is that pellet on my key for? what does it do?
                The pellet in your key is a resistor. The computer in your car measures the resistance in the pellet and if it is correct your car will start.

If the resistance does not match what is in the computers memory, it will not start. This is a security feature called Pass Key. The system is called VATS. That stands for Vehicle Anti Theft System.

It is common for the small wires in the ignition lock cylinder to become worn and cause a VATS system failure. If cleaning your key does not fix the problem, you may need to replace the ignition lock cylinder.
                Tracy
                2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                Current Mods:
                SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Well i got a brand new key they gave me at the dealership as a spare, imma just use that from now on and see if it works. Also, with my name.. my firebird symbol on my front bumper is there, it got stolen, where can i get a new one?

Comment

Working...
                  X