need help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help

i am not really sure if this is actually a prolblem but i was just wondering so....when my car is at idle and i turn the wheel it makes a little whinning sound and the rpm's go up about 100 for a second...is this bad or normal.??.Also if i am at a red light or stop sign and i take off and listen to the engine it also makes a little whine(almost like a supercharger but i dont have one )

any feedback would be appreciated..

matt-
    1998 v-6 Firebird, t-tops...
    mods: flowmaster exhaust, K&N air filter, 3.73 gears, cold air induction, whisper lid, ac delco rapidfire spark plugs- running with mobile 1 synthetic

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/506859

any ideas??
    mods: flowmaster exhaust, K&N air filter, 3.73 gears, cold air induction, whisper lid, ac delco rapidfire spark plugs- running with mobile 1 synthetic

Comment

It might be power steering that is low on fluid or its about to go, but it can also be the smog pump that it's locking up, this has happened to two of my friends in their camaro's that it's also been making a supercharger wine (we've fooled a bunch of people tho, lots of fun, lol) but after a while of running it like that the pulley has locked up and its burned the belt and snaped it, that might b it, hope i have been of some help.later

johan.
      1967 Camaro "Project"
      1972 Chevelle "454"
      1979 Trans Am "Project Ls-1"

Comment

Might also be the alternator. Easy way to check if its going bad is put your hand on it (when its cold, because it heats up easily lol ) and feel if it vibrates a lot or just with the motor. If not, pick up a mechanics stethoscope (sp?) and poke around until you can find it. Good luck man.
        Steve
        79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
        87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
        93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
        http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Mine was doing the same thing and it was the alt. that was makin all the noise.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
          Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
          6.2L/382.97 ci
          Custom PROM Dyno tuned
          WCT-5 speed
          BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
          Boss MS 18" Rims
          Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
          Custom Dual exhaust
          1LE upgrade
          Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
          In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

Originally posted by DeWynter
            Mine was doing the same thing and it was the alt. that was makin all the noise.
            remove the belt and see if the noise stops... If it does, it is an accessory, or the belt/idler pulley.
            Tracy
            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
            Current Mods:
            SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

thanks a lot guys for all your feedback..ill cheak it out..

matt--

Comment

I'd say the sound when you turn the wheel is the power steering pump, the supercharger-like whine is likely the altenator.
                Dave M
                Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

If it only happens when you turn the wheel, it is proabably power steering pump related. They make a power steering pump conditioner that would likely help to eliminate your problem.

You can find it at any major auto parts store.

Comment

Working...
                  X