New axle shafts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New axle shafts?

I was doing some perusing through my latest Summit big book and noticed that Moser is selling Custom Alloy 28-spline axle shafts. I've heard rumors that this is the weak point in the stock F-body rear end. If this is true, would these axle shafts and the needed C-clip eliminator kit be worth the $450 as a low cost solution vs. the Moser 12-bolt? Thanks for the input.
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Originally posted by Steve93Z
    I was doing some perusing through my latest Summit big book and noticed that Moser is selling Custom Alloy 28-spline axle shafts. I've heard rumors that this is the weak point in the stock F-body rear end. If this is true, would these axle shafts and the needed C-clip eliminator kit be worth the $450 as a low cost solution vs. the Moser 12-bolt? Thanks for the input.
    The problem with the stock 10-bolt is not the axles. It is the scrawny 7.5/7.625" ring gear. It simply is not strong enough to take the torque of a highly modified engine, launching at high RPM on slicks. I've only seen one case of an axle breaking - a 99SS that was being launched at 5K on slicks, running nitrous. Every other failure, and they are numerous, has been related to the weak gears.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I snapped the original shaft and now it appears as though I bent the new one as well. It was a Superior Axle and I'm not happy about it.

I'm not making gobs of power either.

96 TA Sold!
      87 TA Sold!
      80 Z28 Sold!
      74 Formula Sold!
      73 Z28 Sold!
      69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

So, since I'm not going to put slicks on it in the planned future, this isn't something to really worry about? Also, I'm taking it that the only way to fix this weakness is to replace the entire rear end, correct? Thanks guys.
        Steve

Comment

One fairly inexpensive mod you can do to the rear is to add a girdle (differential cover). If you get one, I would suggest getting the carrier bearing cap stud kit as well. It will reduce carrier bearing cap flex.

When the carrier bearings flex, the ring and pinion backlash as well as the footprint can be tweaked which can result in failure due to unusually high stress being placed in a concentrated area. Pre-loading the carrier bearing caps also helps to minimize rind and pinion bearing wear as well.

Some people have even said that it made their rear ends quieter after the installation of the girdle. This is most likely due to the reduced differential housing (pumpkin) flex because of the reinforced design of the cover.

The aluminum cover will also dissapate heat much better and allows about 1/2 more quart of gear lube to be added. This will make your rear-end run a little cooler.

Overall the 10-bolt girdle will help to make your 10-bolt a little more durable, run a little cooler, and most likely even quiet it down. They can be had for about $150-$160 from most of the popular f-body performance shops. the stud kit will be about another $25.

I had a stock 10-bolt with Precision 4.10 gears and a MAC girdle. I was putting right around 488hp to the tire in my WS6. The rear end never gave me any problems. I never launched it on slicks but I did manage quite a few hard launches on the street with no problems. Autos are a little more forgiving as well. When we pulled the car apart this last time, I pulled the rear cover and looked at the ring and pinion and they showed no signs of unusual stress or wear.

http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...vid=4&pcid=210

Comment

Funny you should mention a girdle, Kevin. When I first got the car, I was going to put one on. Then, after doing some research, someone (maybe from here or SLP, can't quite remember) said that the axle shafts were the weak point. Thus, I wrote it off. Now, is there any specific one that anyone recommends? I've looked at the TA cover and considered either that one or the Summit one. Any ideas? Thanks guys.
            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve93Z
              Funny you should mention a girdle, Kevin. When I first got the car, I was going to put one on. Then, after doing some research, someone (maybe from here or SLP, can't quite remember) said that the axle shafts were the weak point. Thus, I wrote it off. Now, is there any specific one that anyone recommends? I've looked at the TA cover and considered either that one or the Summit one. Any ideas? Thanks guys.
              Yes the TA and the G2 seem to be the most popular choices. The G2 can be found here:

G2 Girdle

Comment

Ya know, I've never really been impressed with the G2 stuff. May just be me, but since I checked out there "CAI", I've been dissuaded to buying their equipment. So, I'll look into the TA girdle. Thanks Kev and Fred.
                Steve

Comment

Working...
                X