anyone using these tires?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone using these tires?

I put about 15k miles per year on my car now that we moved into the sticks (50 miles per day). It's now time for new tires so I'm getting larger wheels (17x9s) and I think I want something that will last longer than the 25k that my GC-Ss gave me... but at the same time I don't wanna lose the performance (a catch 22 perhaps).

I know Jeff95z28 recommended the BFG KDW tires, but they have a lower treadwear index of 300. So, what do you guys think these about choices (and feel free to add your suggestions). Does anyone have personal experience with these brands:

(all are 275/40-17 sizes)

-------------------------------------------
    BFG g-Force T/A KDWS
    Treadwear: 400
    Traction: A
    Temperature: A
    Speed Rating: ZR

P-Zero Nero M+S
    Treadwear: 400
    Traction: A
    Temperature: A
    Speed Rating: ZR

Price is about the same: $170-180 installed. Am I wasting my time thinking I can get a Z-rated preformance tire with a 400 treadwear rating? I want the same grip and handeling I'm used to with my GS-Cs.

Thanks for comments!
    http://encoding.n3.net <--- for all your DVD and audio CD "backup" needs

Both great tires, I've used the KDWS and I loved them. My roomate has used the p zero nero m+s, he said they were a great all weather tire, good handling with a fairly decent tread life.
    2006 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, Blue Leather Interior
    Traded in: 1998 Z28
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/hotwhip9

Comment

Go to Tire Rack, and look at user feedback for each of the tires you are considering. They collect data, and rate on a scale of 1 - 10 things like dry traction, wet traction, snow traction, braking, tread wear, noise, comfort, etc. The manufacturers' tread wear rating are largely "fiction" and may not bear any relationship to reality. Ken C/wolfman is completely involved in the government regulation of these issues, and he puts little credence in the ratings.

I have the BFG KDW's in the front (BFG Drag Radials in the back), but I don't put enough miles on the car on the street to know how they wear. They sure seem sticky... but again, I can't generate decent cornering forces in a car set up for the 1/4-mile.

http://www.tirerack.com/index.jsp
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Thanks for the url... I'll check it out.

Comment

I just bought new KDW for all 4 corners and really love them. Before I replaced them I had KDWS on the front and KDW on the back(what the dude before me had). The KDWS on the fronts had great traction in the rain and excellent grip on dry pavement. The wear on them was awesome, I had the tires on for 15k miles and barely notice a difference from when I bought them. If your going to do alot of rain driving then KDWS is better but if it's going to see limited water then go for the KDW. JMO
          97 SS #C007
          Polo Green w/ tan leather A4
          SLP headers, Loudmouth, Koni SA, Spohn LCA, Spohn PHR, Spohn relo brackets, pro-kit, B&M Stage II Shift Kit, air foil, 160 therm, LT4 KM, BFG KDW

Comment

I bought the BFG KDW 17x9.5 for mine. I noticed a big difference and they are sticky. I can't answer the tread wear though.
            Mixedpuppy

1998 TA, mostly stock, SLP hood, ram air plastic intake, K&N Filter, Transgo Shift Kit, Kooks Stainless LT headers with Magna Flow Cats, Borla Exhaust (Medium plate setting), Kenny Brown SFCs, BMR Tower Strut Brace, 17" ROH RT Rims, 9.5 BFG KDWs, SLP Airlid, Smooth bore bellow, 85mm MAF. Nitrous to come. Action figure not included.

Comment

DOT UTQG Treadwear numbers dont mean jack chit. trust me. i know. its all a marketing scheme that the manufacture's get away with.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
              Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
              sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

I just recently bought a set of 245/45/17 KDs of my neighbor. I've only heard great things about these tires. I've had them on for about a month now and they are great, no complaints. Excellent traction on dry. However there is not the greatest traction on wet surface. but that is to be expected with any high performance zr tire. I love them and they were the 200 i payed for all 4!!!!hahah. my neighbor gave me a sweet deal on them.
                -Lou -

1997 30th Anniversary Firebird Formula

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernSS
                  I just bought new KDW for all 4 corners and really love them. Before I replaced them I had KDWS on the front and KDW on the back(what the dude before me had). The KDWS on the fronts had great traction in the rain and excellent grip on dry pavement. The wear on them was awesome, I had the tires on for 15k miles and barely notice a difference from when I bought them. If your going to do alot of rain driving then KDWS is better but if it's going to see limited water then go for the KDW. JMO
                  I don't know what the "K" stands for, but let's break down what the abbreviations mean...

KD - "Dry" - intended for great performance in ideal, dry conditions.

KDW - "Dry, Wet" - good performance in dry and wet conditions. Pretty ideal daily tire during the summer months.

KDWS - "Dry, Wet, Snow" - good performance for an all-season tire.

I can't see why the KDWS would handle rain any better than the KDW would...

Anyway, to the inital question... I have the KDW and I absolutely love them. Are you going to be driving in the snow? If not, then don't go for the KDWS, you have no reason to.

The KDW has decent treadlife, I can't complain. I bought the ones on the rear about a year ago. I will probably have to replace them next summer... I dunno, maybe it is just me... but I know I have a performance car, and maintainence is gonna be a little more expensive than a normal car.

$400 for the two tires installed every 1.5 years isn't so bad when you consider how much I pay at the pump for premium (driving 60 miles through backroads 6 days a week - I fill up about twice a week), as well as $45 for a Mobil 1 oil change every 3000 miles.

Tires are cheap in comparison!
                  Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
                    I don't know what the "K" stands for, but let's break down what the abbreviations mean...

I can't see why the KDWS would handle rain any better than the KDW would...

Tires are cheap in comparison!
                    they do. its because of the addition siping and tread rubber compound changes.

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman
                      they do. its because of the addition siping and tread rubber compound changes.

I stand corrected.

I must say though... I have no problem driving in the rain with these tires. And it has been a wet summer!
                      Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
                        I stand corrected.

I must say though... I have no problem driving in the rain with these tires. And it has been a wet summer!
                        i never had any probs in the rain either. thats the tire that came stock on my Comp TA and i by the time i had to replace them, the old Comp T/A ZR was replaced by the KDW, which is the same tread pattern and compound...just design changes to the belt package and body structure with the new z force technology.

Comment

question how many miles did you get out of your last set of tires before you had to look into replacing them.

I have the stock Firehawk SZ 50EP tires on the hawk (17 x 9's)and have nearly 29K on them now.. so far the tread is showing wear but it is not yet reached the replace depth yet (measured tread depth with proper tool)

I'd be interested in what you end up with.. and what others have goneto (no EP's available )
                          Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
                          Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
                          pics and info

Comment

Originally posted by Rhode Island Red
                            question how many miles did you get out of your last set of tires before you had to look into replacing them.

I have the stock Firehawk SZ 50EP tires on the hawk (17 x 9's)and have nearly 29K on them now.. so far the tread is showing wear but it is not yet reached the replace depth yet (measured tread depth with proper tool)

I'd be interested in what you end up with.. and what others have goneto (no EP's available )

I got 35K out of my stock Goodyear F1s.

Comment

I'll get about 28-29k out of these GS-Cs. Im only looking at a snow tire because they have a treadware index of 400 va. the 280 of the dry/summer only versions. I'm cheap and I have to drive about 50 miles per day

Comment

Working...
                              X