Some power/driveability discussion...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some power/driveability discussion...

I heard that C5 Z06s are going for $10K off sticker in my area. I marched down to the dealer to see if I could trade-in and come out with payments near where I am now. Unfortunately, it didn't work out. While I could probably afford it, I would be a moron to do it.

So that brings me back to the place I have been... modding...

The more research I have been doing on ls1tech, the more I am finding out that the T-Rex cam just simply is not the way to go on the street. It's a race cam through and through - and I'll be loping hard and surging my way around town all while guzzling gas at cruise on the highway.

Since I will be getting a beater here soon, gas mileage isn't all that important to me anymore, but I still want to be able to cruise around in my car. I don't want it to become just a track car.

So that brings me to this... I know the LS6 cam would give me a higher rev range like I am looking for. I would like to go to 7000 if I can keep driveability, and I can't imagine that the extra 500 RPMs over the LS6 cam would really be THAT difficult to achieve on a mild mannered cam.

I am thinking Patriot Stage 1 or 2 heads. What is the difference? Any ill effects of going to super-flowing heads on street driving?

382 stroker. ... Or... what is the largest CID I can go to with a new crank, rods, and pistons? I don't want a new block.

I am thinking this would make around 450-475 at the rear wheels? If so, that would be good.

Of course a new clutch will be in order to hold all of this - as will traction and suspension mods. I am looking to spend around $10K on this.

In the future, I would top it off with a 100 shot, or a small amount of boost, maybe 6 psi. But let's take a look at this step first.

Basically the goals are this... for $10K... 1) Must be mild mannered enough to sit in traffic jams like the Woodward Dream Cruise 2) FAST - I want to trap in the 120s. 3) Decent fuel economy and relaibility -- but I am willing to sacrifice some of this for the gain of the first two goals.
    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

1 item. Supercharger!!!!!!
    plus other stuff with money left over.
    2006 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, Blue Leather Interior
    Traded in: 1998 Z28
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/hotwhip9

Comment

From what I have read the LS6 cam is not worth it - it is too mild for the power you are looking for. A guy in the club here where I live just put 425 HP to the wheels with Patriot stage 1 heads, a relatively mild cam, and the typical bolt ons. (He also has a 100 shot of nitrous but was not on the bottle on the dyno obviously)

My goals are similar to yours Jay - I will sacrifice some drivability but my car is mostly for the street. It cannot be a track only car - that's not what I want it for. I am still trying to put together what I want to do. Headers are an easy choice. Still have not decided on which cam and whether the cats will be lost or not.

Let me know what you come up with - sounds like your job is going well - glad to hear it!
      Silver 02 WS-6, 6 speed, Corsa cat-back, SLP lid, K&N filter, BMR STB, !CAGs, Lou's short stick, MSD wires, MTI "Hammer" cam, ASP underdrive pulley, Hooker LTs, Hooker ORY, Comp 918s, TR pushrods, UMI Sfcs, UMI LCAs, NGK TR55s, Hotchkis springs

Dyno'd 4/24: 330.9 RWHP/ 344.8 RWTQ (Before cam, headers, and pulley)

Dyno'd 5/1: 383.5 RWHP / 380.5 RWTQ (393 actual RWHP)

Comment

Originally posted by hotwhip9
        1 item. Supercharger!!!!!!
        plus other stuff with money left over.

It isn't that simple, bro...
        Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Comment

Oh, Casey... the job...

Wow... much more difficult than I expected. I am still not sure if I can be as strong-willed and pushy as I need to be to succeed at this long term.

It is just totally way out of my comfort zone to say to a client, "look, here is what we are going to do..."

Comment

Hey Jay not to get off subject, but do you use your same name over on ls1tech.com?

Comment

I don't want to disclose my secret identity on ls1tech.

Hehehehe... my posts aren't as "family oriented" over there hehehehe...

Comment

I would at least go Stage II. It would be a waste of money to just go with a mildly ported head when for just a few hundred more you can have a set of much better heads. There is not really any steetability loss in just the amount of porting on a cylinder head. Streetability primarily comes from the camshaft size, but even that can be overcome in great part by tuning. There are several guys here local running the T-rex, and with some very good tuning they say they never experience any cam surge whatsoever.

My stage III LT4 heads with a 239/245 cam were very good on the street. No cam surge or bucking whatsoever. It is all in the tune.

All the guys over on ls1tech.com that are complaining about the T-rex being unruly on the street and that it is a race only cam are complete morons and they obviously didn't have their car tuned by someone who knew what they were doing. There are many LS1 guys running much bigger solid roller cams than the t-rex and don't have any complaints at all on the street.

These guys are always posting pretty good h/c packages on ls1tech:

http://www.texas-speed.com/item_deta...?ProductID=382

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127208

Comment

Working...
                X