service engine light.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• service engine light.

Ok yesterday my service engine light came on so i went and got it checked and the code was for my cats they went out. I dont want to spend the money to get them fixed becasue in a month i was going to get slp headers installed and get the rest of the exhaust changed as well. I am not going to run cats. so my question is will running the next month or so with bad cats on there really effect the car? and if so how.

99 T/A WS-6
    SLP strut tower brace, SLP sub-frame connectors, SLP intake, SLP Loudmouth exhaust, shift kit, SLP suspension system, SLP y-pipe
    2004 Mineral Gray Mustang Mach1 (stock, but ordering the SLP Loudmouth)
    88 IROC-Z, ZZ430 CRATE MOTOR, Flowmaster exhaust, MOSER 12-bolt with gears, and a few other mods.

how the heck did you destroy the cats???? how many miles you have on the car? if they are clogged, you bet you can hurt stuff.......

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

my car has about 66k on it. im going to get it check out to make sure that it is the cats that are messed up. what could have caused them to mess up and if they are messed up can i just hollow them out or just cut the out my self.

99 T/A WS-6
      SLP strut tower brace, SLP sub-frame connectors, SLP intake, SLP Loudmouth exhaust, shift kit, SLP suspension system, SLP y-pipe
      88 IROC-Z, ZZ430 CRATE MOTOR, Flowmaster exhaust, MOSER 12-bolt with gears, and a few other mods.

Comment

Get the EXACT diagnostic code, and we will be able to tell you what went wrong. It would seem odd that both cats would die at the same time. Have you been running a large amount of leaded fuel? Have you used non-sensor safe RTV on the intake recently? Is it possible you have a head gasket leaks, and silicates are present from the coolant? Did you work on both the sensors with dirty hands?

None of these are very likely events, so knowing the code might indicate if there is some other problem. The PCM uses the "after-cat" O2 sensors to monitor the activity of the cats, and the sensors could be faulty for example.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

well if the cats are all pluged up you should notice a power loss and noise change in exaust tone

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
          Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
          6.2L/382.97 ci
          Custom PROM Dyno tuned
          WCT-5 speed
          BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
          Boss MS 18" Rims
          Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
          Custom Dual exhaust
          1LE upgrade
          Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
          In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

well i took the car to get checked out and they said that only my right cat is messed up. its flowing fine but its sending a messed up signal to the computer. they said that the only thing that will happen is my gas milage will mess up. In a month i will have it all removed i will just drive the mustang and leave the trans am parked. but i will get the code so that you can give me some info. i did not notice any power loss or sound change.

99 T/A WS-6

Comment

Working...
            X