Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you protect your front end while working under the hood?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you protect your front end while working under the hood?

Was wondering how you guys protect the front end and fenders while working under the hood. I placed towels all over when I installed the ram-air stuff.

I had the T/A at a dealer to have the intake leak fixed. After almost two days of playing around they called and told me that one of the head gaskets was leaking. I was kind of poed but told them to go ahead and fix it.

When I first brought the T/A in I told the service manager that I just had it repainted and that they should take care of it. No problem I was told.

After almost a week I finally was able to pick it up and it was sitting outback in the bright sunlight. I quickly walked around and it seemed like everything was ok. I drove it home and once I had it parked in the drive way out of the sun I almost had a heart attack. The hole front end and parts of the fenders were all scuffed up. So the next morning I went by and showed it to them. They saw what I was talking about and took it to the body shop and had it buffed out and now it looks like new again. They said that they had a heavy sheet over the front which I saw they did once I went by to check on the T/A. Eventhough it still got scuffed up.

I'm sure you guys have figured it out, care to share?
    97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

oh.. i thought you ment summin else.......i was gonna say wear a J.Strap..........................

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

They sell thimgs for that. I can't remeber what the are called, but I am pretty sure you can get them from a local parts store. You just lay them over the side of you're car and it protects from chemicals and scratches. And it "sticks" to your car, I think its like some sort of rubber or something. Sorry, but I can't just put whats in my head on to the keyboard . But if you see it at the store you'll know it.
      2006 Saturn Ion Redline
      2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

They are called.......drum roll...... "fender covers"
        Summit, Jegs, Pepboys, etc.....sells them.

John
        97RS "Arrest me red" - LETSCEM - under the knife
        02WS.6/TA #4024 "Wash me again black" RDOZREL - Hotchkis STB, MTI lid, BMR SFC's, BMR SB's, SB Brake Lines, SureStop rotors, Carbotech pads.
        99 Bravada

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman
          oh.. i thought you ment summin else.......i was gonna say wear a J.Strap..........................

97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Originally posted by Black97

I just had a horrific vision of Ken working under the hood in nothing but a jock strap. Please make the horror stop. Help! make it stop!

I will never recover from this terror.
            Tracy
            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
            Current Mods:
            SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by Tundrahog
              They are called.......drum roll...... "fender covers"
              Summit, Jegs, Pepboys, etc.....sells them.

yeah yeah, what he said
              2006 Saturn Ion Redline
              2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

The secret is to wash the fenders and dry them fully with a cotton towel, just before you put the covers on. I have several heavy padded "mattress covers" from when my kids were little and had "cribs" (now they are big and want "cribs" - what does that mean? ) . Most things will protect the fenders, but if you don't remove the dust and grit before you put the cover on, you are going to put scuff marks in the paint.
                Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Ken in a j-strap. That sounds wrong. Disturbingly wrong.
                  2006 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, Blue Leather Interior
                  Traded in: 1998 Z28
                  http://www.cardomain.com/id/hotwhip9

Comment

awwwww...come on guys...
                    its purple with yellow racing stripes!!!!!!!! and a furr ball on each side!!!!!!

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman
                      awwwww...come on guys...
                      its purple with yellow racing stripes!!!!!!!! and a furr ball on each side!!!!!!

You Must be a Lakers Fan!
                      1996 Arctic White Z28, A4, K&N CAI, TByrne MAF ends, BBK Twin-52mm TB, TB Bypass, SLP 1 3/4" Shorties, Richmond 3.42's, Dynomax Bullet Muffler W/Turn Down, BMR Adj. Panhard, EIBACH Pro-Kit, AFS ZR1 Wheels W/17x11" out back!

Comment

Working...
                      X