How do i get the automatic shifter knob off

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do i get the automatic shifter knob off

I'am trying to repaint the console because of nasty mildew looking stains, to get the console off i need to take the automatic shifter knob off, how to i go about doing that without breaking anything

There should be a pin on the back side of the knob that you pull out, then it will come off.
    Chris

1991 Camaro 3.1 V6 pretty much stock

http://www.cardomain.com/id/clwilson

Comment

Salvage Yard & they are fun to walk through!

Comment

Like cwilson said, there is a pin that you can pry out with a flat head screwdriver. Then there are bolts inside the center console compartment that come out. After that, trying to think, if you have the change holder inside, slide that up, there are more bolts underneath that, then its just a matter of prying everythign up. The part around the gear indicator pops out, unhook those wires, then the main piece will come out. Have the key in the ignition shift it down into 1, or whatever gear is easiest for you, pull the e-brake up, its a pita! Sort of have to defy laws of physics to get it off, but it will come off, even though it seems like it won't want to.
        2006 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, Blue Leather Interior
        Traded in: 1998 Z28
        http://www.cardomain.com/id/hotwhip9

Comment

Here are the shifters on a Buick and Blazer. You can see the staple slot where the staple fits in to secure them both. Your car is the same. Just pry out the staple with a small flat screwdriver and then remove the shifter by pulling strait up.

Tracy
          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
          Current Mods:
          SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Got it men! thanks for the help.. I put a nice gloss black finish on my console.. I'll get some pics for you guys as soon as i get my hands on a usb.

Comment

I called around to 3 salvage yards and 93 and over fbody's seem to be rare around here.. I need a few pieces to finish up my interior, the sun shades, a console lid, and a working lock switch for both sides.. the person that had the bird before me, didnt take care of it.. its my baby I dont know how anyone could do that..
              imma get some before and after pics for yaw.. gloss black paint job with mirror tint COMING SOON...

Comment

Working...
              X