Opinions on keeping original equipment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on keeping original equipment

I plan on keeping my car for a long long time but if I ever get stupid and sell it do you guys think it pays to keep all the original stuff since my car is somewhat rare? According to a report I read somewhere there's only 50 97 SS's that are white hardtop 6 speeds. I have the opportunity to sell the parts and make some extra cash (for more bolt-ons) but I'm not sure if that would be wise to do.
    Any suggestions?
    97' SS #497 1 of 50 White Hardtop M6,stock TB reworked to 52mm,SLP CC shorties, Random Tech DC Y-pipe, LT4KM, Taylor Spiro's and NGK's, BMR Adj Lcr's, TA, Boxed SFC's, Adj PHR, Floorpan brace w/ driveshaft loop, STB, GM 4:10'S, 1LE alum DS, Eibach 35mm front swaybar and Pro-Kit Springs, Bilstein HD's, Lou's speed stick with Hurst ball,LS1 front brakes, Earl's lines, Hawk Pads, BMR relocation brackets.

i'd sell the original parts for extra ca$h for bolt ons. that's what i did. hood, wheels, air box, anything i could get money for i sold on ebay. my car isin't as rare as yours (exept for my red and black cloth interior)
    good luck,
    eddie
    1995 Z28 A4, SCC Ultra Z Hood with Air box/K&N filter, Granatelli Maf Sensor/Fernco bellow/Hotchkis STB/white face gauges/LT4 Knock module/March pullies/160* stat without Hypertech Tunning/Borla 3" y-pipe/HI Flo 3" cat/SLP Loudmouth/GM Motive 3.73's + TA rear end girdle/Afs ZR1's silver painted with polished lip 17x9.5 front & 17x11 out back/98 tail light's/BMR SFC's/spohn Lca's/spohn relo brackets & spohn adj. panhard rod " coated mid lenght pacesetters headers + 1.6rr + custom pc tuning going on soon hopefully "

Comment

ttt. come on, your opinions are much appreciated...
      97' SS #497 1 of 50 White Hardtop M6,stock TB reworked to 52mm,SLP CC shorties, Random Tech DC Y-pipe, LT4KM, Taylor Spiro's and NGK's, BMR Adj Lcr's, TA, Boxed SFC's, Adj PHR, Floorpan brace w/ driveshaft loop, STB, GM 4:10'S, 1LE alum DS, Eibach 35mm front swaybar and Pro-Kit Springs, Bilstein HD's, Lou's speed stick with Hurst ball,LS1 front brakes, Earl's lines, Hawk Pads, BMR relocation brackets.

Comment

I agree with LoudLT1. I would sell the original parts for some money so you can mod your car more. The only thing I wouldn't do is rip out certain things (AC and heat, for example) that some people just can't live without on a car, if or when you sell it. That's my 2 cents.
        1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
        Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
        Trans: TH700R4
        Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

Here's where I disagree with others. Keep all original parts. Clean them, box them up with labels. If you ever decide to sell it, the car can be put back to stock and the mod parts sold. Not to mention of a part fails, you'll have a stocker as a back up. Funny thing is that many times, trying to sell a modded car years down the road is alot harder than selling a stock one. People are looking for well kept stockers.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
            Here's where I disagree with others. Keep all original parts. Clean them, box them up with labels. If you ever decide to sell it, the car can be put back to stock and the mod parts sold. Not to mention of a part fails, you'll have a stocker as a back up. Funny thing is that many times, trying to sell a modded car years down the road is alot harder than selling a stock one. People are looking for well kept stockers.

My opinion exactly. Joe is dead on target. Future value of the car is higher if it is stock, and the mods can be sold for even more money.
            Tracy
            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
            Current Mods:
            SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Joe and Z,

That's what I was leaning towards doing; now I'll clean them up and find a dry spot in the basement. That's probably one of the biggest reasons I initially bought the car; it was completely stock.

Thanks

Comment

Box it all up

I agree with Joe & Z Definately keep the original parts. If there were only 50 of those baby's built that makes that car exceptionally rare 10 to 20 years from now. What would you think if a 69 ss with a production run of 50 would be worth today in original condition?

Comment

If it were mine I would box up all the original stuff and put it in a safe place. The amount of money you may get for it will never offset the amount you will have to pay later to put it back when you realize you want to sell it, and its worth twice as much complete. Just a thought.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
                  Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
                  6.2L/382.97 ci
                  Custom PROM Dyno tuned
                  WCT-5 speed
                  BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
                  Boss MS 18" Rims
                  Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
                  Custom Dual exhaust
                  1LE upgrade
                  Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
                  In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

Not only do I agree with Joe and the others of similar opinion, but . . .

. . . keep EVERYTHING that originally came with the car. Window stickers, tags, labels, manuals, company brochures, etc.

I've got all that, plus a couple of the promotional video tapes and calendars offered that year (as well as a complete Pontiac Product Information catalogue for 1998).

Keep it all. These cars aren't being made anymore and the more stock items you have, the more valuable your car is.

IMHO, of course.
                    R.i.K.

'98 WS6 TA (white, of course!), Hurst Billet/Plus shifter, BBK intake manifold, McGard “blue-ring” lug nuts (12x1.5), PowerSlot brake rotors, Hawk brake pads, Stainless steel braided brake lines, Pontiac arrow, Hotchkis strut tower brace, MBA MAF ends, Reflective Concepts lettering, MTI carbon-fiber look airbox lid . . . and one greying, somewhat eccentric owner.

Comment

Working...
                    X