Rigging the Fan on an LT1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rigging the Fan on an LT1

I would like to either put a fan switch on my 94 Formula or rig it to run all the time. How would you go about doing this on an LT1? Anyone have any useful links or anything? Thanks!
    1994 Formula
    3.23's
    Moroso Cold Air Intake
    G2 High Flow MAF
    Flowmaster Exhaust w/ High-Flo Cat
    1LE Intake Elbow
    Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors
    NGK TR55's, Accel High Performance Coil, Accel Extreme Wires

Originally posted by FormulaSlickG94
    I would like to either put a fan switch on my 94 Formula or rig it to run all the time. How would you go about doing this on an LT1? Anyone have any useful links or anything? Thanks!
    Why would you do this? Is it overheating? If it is, you should fix the problem instead of rigging it.

If you want to manually turn on the fan you can jump the relay under the hood. I used to do this after I ran the 1/4 and needed to cool off in the pits.

Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Here is a diagram on how to add a manual fan swith on an OBD1 car. http://shbox.com/1/fan_sw_diagram1.jpg
      http://shbox.com/1/fan_schematic_1995.jpg
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Thanks for the replies! Big help...I will look into it. Here's the problem. When the car gets hot (like at 210+) It just stays there and won't go back down unless I start driving, the fan won't kick on on it's own. At that point the car would get vapor lock and start bogging. We put on a new water pump, intake manifold/injectors, Ignition Module, TPS, Fan Motor, Coil, Alternator, fuel pump, opti, coolant sensor, and the problem was still there but only after the car hits 210 degrees.

Now here's the thing. Yesterday I decided to disconnect my MAF sensor b/c I know that will kick off the fan to run a little experiment. The car ran flawlessly all day...in fact, the car was running smoother than it ever has and it didn't exceed the first temp line. Bottom line I've dumped a lot of money into resolving this problem and it's stressing me out...I really don't know what else to do and I'd like to make it go away for awhile.
        1994 Formula
        3.23's
        Moroso Cold Air Intake
        G2 High Flow MAF
        1LE Intake Elbow

Comment

I'd still try and find the problem. If you are getting vapor lock at 210degF, there is something wrong.... probably with the fuel system, or something hot too close to a fuel line. Vapor lock should not be a problem in a fuel system running at 43.5psi.

And your stock fans won't start to come on until 226degF, unless you reprogram them.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Thanks Fred,

The next thing on my agenda was actually changing the Fuel Pressure Regulator...maybe that will help. Unfortunately this car is my daily driver as well so I need it to run for me so I can get to work/school so I guess in the meantime I will just run the fan to at least deter the problem. Thanks for the reply...at least I can start aiming more at the fuel side.
            1994 Formula
            3.23's
            Moroso Cold Air Intake
            G2 High Flow MAF
            1LE Intake Elbow

Comment

Just a bandaid that might help get you by, leave your A/C on. The fans will come on when the A/C comes on.
              2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I highly doubt the fans or temp had anything to do with your problem. More likely the fact that you were running in speed-density mode with the MAF unplugged.
                Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B (shoebox)
                  I highly doubt the fans or temp had anything to do with your problem. More likely the fact that you were running in speed-density mode with the MAF unplugged.
                  I agree. If it runs fine with the MAF unplugged, replace the MAF.
                  Tracy
                  2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                  1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                  Current Mods:
                  SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Working...
                  X