Anyone else HATE Vipers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else HATE Vipers?

It seems like i'm the only one but i loathe and despise Vipers. When my dad and i smashed his up on Wednesay, i couldn't even get the door open because it never opens right. I had to pull the emergency latch. They draw way too much attention. They aren't all that special. I can think of much better things to be doing with the $60,000 my dad spent for his and that was used. Not only that but you usually get the kids that think they're eminem trying to race you in their civic's or mustangs. I used to like them but they're just so overrated that i've started to hate them. You can't go anywhere without drawing a crowd that more often than not has a ton of stupid questions. Maybe it's just because the car went to my dad's head. I couldn't do anything without hearing how it's a "Super car". Good for you, your "super car" doesn't have very super stopping capabilites as we did around $35,000 worth of damage to it by rear ending someone due to the "super" brakes locking up. Somebody please agree with me here, i know i'm not the only one. Whenever my dad used to pick me up from drivers ed or from work, some stupid kid would say something like "Aw snap! That car is mad hot!". Not only is that irritating but it doesn't make sense. Help me out here guys, sorry for ranting
    Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
    SOLD- Kinda miss it
    94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
    SOLD- Good riddance!
    2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

How do you really feel?!

I have to admit I got a chuckle out of your venting the way you did there. Yes, I happen to agree with you. I do like the way the Viper looks though. I always have. It just has a sinister stance to it. I think maybe you were over exposed to the one your dad had. Typically a car like a viper is for guys with tiny weenies that need to make a statment. The first generation Vipers were as rediculous to try to fit in as were first generation Shelby Cobras. As for me I'd rather use $60K to build a street rod. But everybody has their own priorities. I get a kick out of teasing Vipers herein south Florida. I get stamped in the end, but I've goated more than one into getting pulled over after making a point of blowing my doors off. I can usually out drive the owners anyway, cause most of them are little weenies.

Comment

Well.....

My opinion is that it is a cool car. I've test driven a few of them but never plunked down the cash for one. I suppose the only reason was that for the price, there were too many inconveniences and a less than stellar fit and finish. People can get bored with anything if they have it long enough.
      I still say for the dough, it should have anti-lock brakes. As a matter of opinion, it should have wwwwaaaayyyyy better brakes than what it came with considering the performance potential. Is it a Supercar? kinda borderline on that one, it's a pretty rough around the edges entry.

Comment

I would love a red Viper GTS with white stripes...

Yeah...
        99 SS, MTI Lid, 3.90 gears, Hurst shifter, DMH 3" e-cutout

Comment

Never driven one or really looked at it closely. If I had the cash I would look into one. Sharp looking car that you don't see at every corner.

My wife deson't really like the T/A but whenever we visited my mother in law lately there was a Viper in the parking garage. More sureprisingly, she said that she really liked it.
          97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Im with you Nightrage, I am not a fan of the "super car Viper". I would rather drive my GTO Judge when its done. There is a car. In all reallity Im not a fan of most new "sports cars" and most arent sporty by my concept.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
            Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
            6.2L/382.97 ci
            Custom PROM Dyno tuned
            WCT-5 speed
            BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
            Boss MS 18" Rims
            Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
            Custom Dual exhaust
            1LE upgrade
            Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
            In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

I loved my Viper GTS. However, when the time came and I had to sell, I sold the Viper and kept the Z06. The Viper is an awesome car but I feel my Z06 is better. The part that doesn't make sense is, the car isn't all that, it isn't sophisticated or refined. It doesn't brake all the way and is kinda twitchy. Here is the part that doesn't make sense. I still love them and may buy another second gen some day. However, that will be long after I buy my C6 Z06. I believe the Z06 will change my mind though.
              LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

I would drop my car in a heartbeat over a Viper anyday.
                Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

I dont hate'm but would much rather spend less money on a GN or Vette, I have a lot more respect for vipers then overprice "supercars".

1994 Firebird Formula 138,000 Completly Stock

1995 Caprice 9c1 61,000
                  2001 Intrigue GL

Comment

It's true, stock for stock a Viper will rape an F-body but then again, they have two extra cylinders and at least 138 cubic inches more than a 4th gen. I'd much rather have an 02 WS6 than a Diaper any day but then again, the only recent MOPAR that i've liked is the Stealth. If i had a spare $60,000 laying around, i'd buy a late model WS6 or just convert my 95 to that body style. If i had enough left over, i'd get one of the thirdgen Firehawks. They only produced a few of those but i've seen at least one on Ebay. Now THAT'S a rare car. A Viper is good if you love attention but since i hate being swarmed by gawking, drooling idiots, the Viper definitely isn't the car for me. My dad brought his to two different car shows. Most of the real car fanatics didn't even acknowledge it. The only people that did were the kids or the much older guys that just wanted to know what it was. DeWynter- I don't think i've ever seen a Judge in person. Good luck with it though
                    Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
                    SOLD- Kinda miss it
                    SOLD- Good riddance!
                    2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

Originally posted by Nightrage
                      the only recent MOPAR that i've liked is the Stealth.
                      the stealth was actually a Mitsu 3000GT...and those jokers were heavy!

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                      Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                      B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                      Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                      Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Yeah, MOPAR is a neutral party in the battle against rice. The Crysler conquest and the Dodge....Daytona is it? Is identical to the Starion. The Neon's use Mitsubishi motors but then they have things like the Hemi. Dodge uses tons of Mitsubishi stuff. I really like the 3000GT even if it's not domestic. I think the 3000GT/Stealth weighed around 4,000lbs
                        SOLD- Kinda miss it
                        SOLD- Good riddance!

Comment

The Conquest and the Starion shared one platform, the Stealth and the 3000 GT shared another.

Even after having Mitsubishi products, I have the following political statement:

While I enjoyed having a Mitsubishi front wheel drive street burner, the durability of factory parts, the dealer support as well as the Mitsubishi corporation itself sucks. Headgasket failures are common, parts availability stinks and the dealer will rape you and void your warranty at the drop of a hat. I will NEVER own another Mitsubishi built car ever again. It is a dang shame too... the Stealth was a favorite of mine but I refuse to feed the dog that bit be. Same goes for the Avenger coupe replacement....... it's a fine looking litte coupe. As soon as I saw the Misubishi based content, I simply walk away and shake my head. The only reason Mitsubishi continues to sell the stuff is because they target a younger market who most likely havent had mucho experience with cars and had never had to deal with their crappy practices.

Comment

I like the Viper. I would consider buying one if I had the $$$$. The HP that I've seen some of them make with "bolt ons" and nitrous on the Second Street dyno is awe inspiring. I don't think Chrysler ever marketed it as a sophisticated GT. How could you when its got what is basically a truck engine.

The Viper, and your reaction to it sort of reminds me of the '60s when the original Shelby AC/Cobra appeared on the scene to challenge the Corvette. Everyone trashed it because it didn't even have roll up windows. GM folks despised it with a passion. I was one of them - "hated" it. Yet I'd even be happy with a Cobra "kit" car today. And I wouldn't mind having an original Cobra with its $200,000 - $2,000,000 current value.

Also hard to understand how you can blame the car for drawing a crowd of people asking stupid questions. My Formula never drew a crowd, but I did have someone ask "why didn't you get the V8?" when they misread the "Formula V8" sticker on the rear bumper.

I also sense a hint of envy....... But then at my age, maybe its easier to relate to your dad's feelings than it is to yours.
                            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                              My Formula never drew a crowd, but I did have someone ask "why didn't you get the V8?" when they misread the "Formula V8" sticker on the rear bumper.
                              Priceless.
                              Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

Working...
                              X