94TA Cooling System

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 94TA Cooling System

The cooling system was flushed last summer when a new water pump was installed. The problem is, it's running hot. Climbing hills on a trip yesterday, I had to take it easy in order that the temperature not run above about the 225 degree mark.

RangerBob mentioned a 160 degree thermostat option. What exactly does this thermostat do? Do colder thermostats simply just open sooner? Or are colder thermostats less restrictive when open, thereby allowing for coolant to flow through the system more efficiently?

Thanks,

Martin
    Utah
    Stock 94 TA
    '94 TA. A4, MagnaFlow Catback, ZR1 Replica Wheels, Hawk Brake Pads (HPS), 58k miles.

The 160 degree thermostat will open sooner than the stock one. It would be great for highway use. try to purge the system. There are two bleeder screws near the TS housing and water pump. Also may sure there is no junk or paper cloging up your radiator and condensor.

LT4KM, 160' TS, MAF ends, TB-BP, GMPP 1.6 R/R, SLP CAI, LCA, Adj. tierod, BMR tower brace, 17x9"F/R, 275/40R17 GY F1 tires. WS6 Muffler, LS1 DS. 21mm rear sway bar. Soon to be LT4 heads, intake, & HOT cam

Comment

LT1's can be fussy when it comes to bleeding all the air out....this is the first thing to check. It should not overheat, especially if your motor is stock. I would get that sorted out before just swapping t-stats. Was the t-stat changed when they did the water pump?? A new one came with my water pump from the dealer.....
      95 Z28, A4, 3.23's and some other stuff....

Comment

T-stat

Thanks, unfortunately, I don't know if the T-stat was replaced when the water pump was changed. I agree with you about the stock system being sufficient (or should be)... I'll try to purge the system and go from there.

Thanks,
        Martin
        '94 TA. A4, MagnaFlow Catback, ZR1 Replica Wheels, Hawk Brake Pads (HPS), 58k miles.

Comment

Just as an FYI you will need to get your PCM reprogrammed to engauge the fans sooner to see the full benefit of a 160 stat.

KnightFire
          1993 Formula Firebird
          Check Homepage for mods and photos...

KnightFire's Lair

Amsoil Dealer

Comment

PCM

Cool. How do I go about reprogramming the PCM? Sorry, I'm a big rookie. What does PCM stand for?

Martin

Comment

Re: PCM

Originally posted by MS94TA
              Cool. How do I go about reprogramming the PCM? Sorry, I'm a big rookie. What does PCM stand for?

Martin
              Hypertech makes a power programmer that allows you to reprogram several funtions like fan turn on and turn off temperatures, correct for gear swaps, tire heights, redline, shift points for automatics, etc.... PCM stands for powertrain control module. In short, it's your computer. A new power programmer runs about $350 and from time to time used pop up for about half that.

Comment

225º is not hot. The factory fans don't come on until 226º. Make sure the air dam is still on the car.
                Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

I've got a Hypertech Power Programmer Plus for a '94 LT1. E-mail me at LT14MULA@hotmail.com if you're interested.

Andy
                  '94 Formula M6, XE224/230 w/1.6 RR's, hardened pushrods, Comp R lifters, SLP ceramic coated shorties, Random Tech cat., Flowmaster cat-back, CSI water pump, vented opti, PCM tuning by Spraytheway, BMR k-member, SFC's, DSL, LCA's & brackets, adj. PHR
                  339 RWHP, 341 RWTQ
                  '00 S-10 ZR2

Comment

Rob,

Thanks for the data on the fans kicking in at 225. I was beginning to freak out last night when they didn't kick in over 210...

Someone mentioned it can be tricky purging the coolings sytem. Does anyone have any pointers? I may attempt flushing the system this weekend.

Martin
                    Utah

Comment

do what we did

on the camaro, we did some changes to fix this:

upgraded from stock to 4 core radiator

disconnected thermostat, fan is on whenever ignition is on.
                      http://www.sounddomain.com/id/magnetheadz28

Kenwood Krc-335(soon to be HU)]
                      Kenwood Kdc-c669 (soon to be cd changer)
                      Lanzar Vibe 418 (subwoofer amp)
                      Lanzar Vibe 218 (6x9 amp)
                      Subwoofers: bazooka EL1204

Comment

Thanks for everyone's help! I bled the cooling system last night and that has really helped. Indicated coolant temperature has dropped (during normal town driving) from the 210 range to around 185-190. Much better! Especially since we've seen temperatures over 100 degrees here in Utah for over something like 9 days.

Thanks again,

Martin
                        Utah
                        94TA

Comment

Re: do what we did

Originally posted by magnethead794
                          on the camaro, we did some changes to fix this:

upgraded from stock to 4 core radiator

disconnected thermostat, fan is on whenever ignition is on.
                          Just curious... how did you "disconnect thermostat"..... do you mean you removed it from the housing?
                          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
                          X