Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Failing Emissions for CO%... Any help?...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failing Emissions for CO%... Any help?...

Hey guys,
    I brought my 91 RS Convertable to the inspection station today. It failed for the 2nd time. This time its CO's were at .89% when its not susposed to be any higher than .65% What would cause this to be high? I know the engine has some burnt up oil in it from when my brother owned it.. (When I did the timing chain, it was caked on the block & cover.) Anyway, what other kinds of things would cause me to fail in this test? See my sig for my mods.

Thanks,
    Mark Balistreri
    No F-Body right now

Not sure if this will help, but how old are some of the parts? ex.- spark plugs and wires, O2 sensor, cap and rotor, etc. Have you checked your timing recently? Just some thoughts.
    1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
    Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
    Trans: TH700R4
    Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

I did a full tuneup about 1-2 months ago. The only part that you mentioned that I didnt change was the O2 Sensor. Timing is set at 8* advanced. I only run 93+ octance
      No F-Body right now

Comment

How did the HC look? Generally, running rich will elevate HC and CO, while it reduces NOx. If the HC was also close (but under) the limit, it might indicate running rich. That condition can be caused by a number of problems, including misfires, faulty O2 sensor, exhaust leaks before the O2 sensor, excessive fuel pressure, or faulty cat.

The 3rd Gens have a split bed cat with a "reducing" front end (reduces NOx) and an oxidizing bed in the back end (reduces HC and CO). Air is blown in between the beds to feed the oxidizing section. If the back section of the cat goes bad, or if the AIR pump is not working correctly, you can get high HC and CO,
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

AIR removed?

That'll do it. I'm surprised that they would even inspect your car with the AIR removed.
          R.i.K.

'98 WS6 TA (white, of course!), Hurst Billet/Plus shifter, BBK intake manifold, McGard “blue-ring” lug nuts (12x1.5), PowerSlot brake rotors, Hawk brake pads, Stainless steel braided brake lines, Pontiac arrow, Hotchkis strut tower brace, MBA MAF ends, Reflective Concepts lettering, MTI carbon-fiber look airbox lid . . . and one greying, somewhat eccentric owner.

Comment

Looks like I will just have to buy a sticker.
            No F-Body right now

Comment

Working...
            X