window motor story

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• window motor story

today my window motor finally went out..It was a beutifull day so i was a little pissed, so i went to the pnotiac dealership and asked for an estimate on a new motor and they said $850 ...i was amazed and i could not get myself to pay that much for a new window motor so i tried to do it myself...It was definitely not a fun or easy task..I had to take all the rivets out and take the whole window out to get the motor in..It was a big hassle but i am pretty happy i saved $850.....Now the question i have is if the dealership was trying to rob me or something? $850 just seems a little to much for a window..

matt-
    1998 v-6 Firebird, t-tops...
    mods: flowmaster exhaust, K&N air filter, 3.73 gears, cold air induction, whisper lid, ac delco rapidfire spark plugs- running with mobile 1 synthetic

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/506859

Shoulda asked first...... there is a way to do it in less than an hour and a half without removing the glass.

Comment

did mine a few months ago, first time ever. With the guide at shbox.com, it took me JUST over a half hour, 50 bucks for a motor, and a few minutes of studying pictures. Not hard to do. Glass should be left alone.
      97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

ahwell at least i got it done..next time ill ask, i was just in a hurry to get it done.
        1998 v-6 Firebird, t-tops...
        mods: flowmaster exhaust, K&N air filter, 3.73 gears, cold air induction, whisper lid, ac delco rapidfire spark plugs- running with mobile 1 synthetic

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/506859

Comment

$850 is waaaay out of the ballpark price. Dealerships usually charge about $350 for that job.
          Joe K.
          '11 BMW 328i
          '10 Matrix S AWD
          Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Wow thats insane. I bought a motor for $40 offline with lifetime warranty. Arrived 2 days later, put it in in about an hour or so. It wasn't to hard just a P.I.T.A because it was hard to see with out a comestic mirror. I just used this guide which is very helpful for lots of things as well.

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech1.html
            -Lou -

1997 30th Anniversary Firebird Formula

Comment

They were definitely bending you over the barrell.

I have it down to 30 minutes - I have done about 8 of them. My cars and friend's and family's cars. I can do it in 20 if it has been replaced before.

Randy
              99 TA "RBLUTA" - NBM, M6, Whisper Lid, SLP Fan Switch, 160* Thermo, SLP LM, BMR STB & LCA's.

***SOLD*** It will be missed!!
              93 Formula "FRMLAV8" -383 Stroker

Comment

Working...
              X