Rear Window Tint Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Window Tint Question

Had the windows tinted Friday. They look great except for one irritating problem. The very top of the rear window has those spots -is it a window antenna? They're right above the defroster. Anyway, the tint didn't adhere correctly over the 'spots'. So, there is this irritating lighter color oval shape on the top of the rear window.

I called the tint installer today. He said it's difficult for the tint to adhere to that portion of the window (because of those 'spots'). He said the only way to make it look better is to paint that area black (he left me a voice message so I assume he's talking about painting that portion of the tint).

Am I getting hosed here? Anyone else had this issue? Oh, and he wants $25 to paint it black. The initial charge was $150.

Martin
    Utah
    94 TA stock
    '94 TA. A4, MagnaFlow Catback, ZR1 Replica Wheels, Hawk Brake Pads (HPS), 58k miles.

he is right

There is no way around it, what he is talking about is trimming the tint back and painting that area of the glass. A good friend of mine owns a tint shop. That stuff is just part of the deal, most people just deal with the way it is with tint over it, if you paint it thats how it is forever, the tint will come off if/when you want it to .
    NBM '02 Z, SLP Lid, Corsa Cat-Back
    (SOLD 07/03/2004)

Comment

Thanks, man.

Martin
      Utah
      '94 TA. A4, MagnaFlow Catback, ZR1 Replica Wheels, Hawk Brake Pads (HPS), 58k miles.

Comment

Ditto.... I've seen it many times. It is that way on mine as well. Any time there is irregular surfaces on the glass like a defroster grid, the tint never gets totally smooth. Just gotta live with it.

Comment

They hashed this out pretty good on another forum, but some good suggestions came out of it. As was previously suggested, you can trim up to the dots & paint it black or you could try taking a Bondo spreader and smoothing it out every day for a week over the dots and see if it stretches & adheres better - this apparrently worked for one guy...

Comment

fix to problem

i got mine done at a very good tint shop and fortunately i don't suffer from that problem. lucky me. The back piece that covers the glass is one piece, with no air bubbles and is 5% and looks great. The top portion of the rear glass hatch you speak of, i don't see those dots. What the guy did that tinted my windows for me gave me one of 3 options..

1 deal with air bubbles... no!
            2 sand them down and risk scratching glass... no!
            3 what i chose..

He ended up putting almost a black sticker that hides each one of those little bumps, it cost i think 20 bucks extra and is non transparent, but being so high up on the window you can't see out that part anyway, andi have no bumps visible and no air bubbles. Ask the tint shop that you had yours done at if they have that sort of sticker to do the same thing. If i can get my hands on a camera ill take a close up picture of mine to show ya how it came out.
            2006 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, Blue Leather Interior
            Traded in: 1998 Z28
            http://www.cardomain.com/id/hotwhip9

Comment

over the years..i just kept rubbing mine with my thumb when i opened the hatch......... its all gone now...... it looks worse to you than it does to others....believe me......

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
              Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
              sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Great looking car! I'm going to try the 'thumb' approach. Hey, it's just another excuse to rub my baby.

Comment

Working...
                X