Something is wrong with my monsoon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something is wrong with my monsoon

Ok I think mly amp is going bad or something, because Ill be playing my music kinda loud and then the volume goes down and it wont go back up even when i try to turn it up louder. Ive trieed turning the car on and off and on again and that doesnt work, then out of nowhere it will turn real loud like the amp rekicked back in. I think its the amp going bad but not sure. Where is the amp loacated.
    Thanks
    Tom
    1996 Trans Am:T-tops,graphite leather,16" chrome T/A rims, Nitto's, Descreened MAF, Morosso CAI, hypertech, flowtech cut out, 1LE elbow, Silver BMR tubular SFC's, 160 thermo, limo tint, harwood ws6 hood, !side molding, Stage 2 trans.

Looking for a driver side window.

I have the same problem some times.... Getthe music kickin' real good and it goes out. If I turn it (the monsoon) off for a minute, then turn it back on, it will be fine (although it seems to have reset itself to a lower volume and I have to turn it back up). I always assumed the amp overheated or something, but I can't imagine it's normal.
    Dave M
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Hahaha, my car has it's own favorite songs. Whenever certain songs come on (I'm dead serious about this), it cranks itself up. It's awesome. A Fury Divine by Amon Amarth was playing and it cranked itself up to be deafeningly loud. I just lowered it back to the point that my eardrums would stop bleeding and caressed the steering wheel. My girlfriend didn't believe me until it happened again. I love my car so much.
      Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
      SOLD- Kinda miss it
      94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
      SOLD- Good riddance!
      2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

Does anybody know where it is located. Can I put an aftermarket amp in its place. Its a 400 watt amp right?
        1996 Trans Am:T-tops,graphite leather,16" chrome T/A rims, Nitto's, Descreened MAF, Morosso CAI, hypertech, flowtech cut out, 1LE elbow, Silver BMR tubular SFC's, 160 thermo, limo tint, harwood ws6 hood, !side molding, Stage 2 trans.

Comment

Does anybody know where it is located. Can I put an aftermarket amp in its place. Its a 400 watt amp right?

Comment

I heard at one point where it is located, but I don't remember. For some reason I'm thinking passenger seat, but I'm not sure. I believe it is 500 watts.
            Dave M
            Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

the monsoon amp should be located in the passenger's rear quarter panel in the hatch area, in the compartment where the spare tire is located.

Red '02 Z28 M6 - purchased 6/24/04 with 11,706 miles
              CAGS Eliminator

Comment

Originally posted by 02Z28
                the monsoon amp should be located in the passenger's rear quarter panel in the hatch area, in the compartment where the spare tire is located.

ditto that...it's a black box about 10x10x1.5...can't miss it. If you have a shock sensor for the alarm, it's right next to it. And yes, it's 500 watts...no you can't use another amp in it's place (monsoon incorporated amps and crossovers)...

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Monsoon Shomansoon. I liked the BOSE WAY better....go get you one of these setups....you'll like it...

(before my window tinting...
                  -Rico

Click here to visit my CarDomain page!

01 Camaro Convertable, A4, White, Audiobahn 12" subs and amp 800W/RMS,Xenon
                  98 TA/WS6, M6, All options,stock with minor mods, stealth JL Audio-Sold
                  98 Camaro, V6, A4, Silver, Xenon Body kit, white guages, MTX system, custom interior SOLD
                  94 Camaro, 3.4L, M5, Quasar Blue, SOLD

Comment

i have built car stereos and house stereos on the side for over a year and half...so i am not just talking out my arse

but i would bet it is your head unit..unless i am misunderstanding what u mean by lower volume

if the amp over heats it will go into a protection mode if the amp has it..that will cut your sound off completely not quite down

usually when your volume becomes speratic in any way shape or form it is the soldering in the HU..or a button has stuck

if it really is your head unit i am not 100% sure u can use the stock monsoon stuff with an aftermarket HU

also that being said..i know you guys like your stereos but honestly there is a ton better out there..and for not a HUGE wad of cash either my specialty is usually building budget systems like the one in my hooptie $700 158DB metered

it all depends on what you want..if it does turn out that your HU is gone and you would like to put in a new system i can help you peice it together so u can play the 5th symphony like you were sitting in the front row (and yes i dont want any money to do it lol)

Comment

Originally posted by Camaro4-2
                      Monsoon Shomansoon. I liked the BOSE WAY better....go get you one of these setups....you'll like it...
                      (before my window tinting...
                      I notice your amp is in plain view through the back window. That might be a bad idea with regards to theft. I've had 2 t-top cars, and in both those cars I used a piece of 1/2" square tubing to reinforce the cargo divider, then I mounted the amp to the back of it. That way, when the divider was flipped up the amp was not visible. If I wanted it visible, I just flipped it down.

I tried bolting the amp to the divider without a reenforcement bar first, but it sagged badly under the weight of the amp. I had to add the steel bar to make it work. I painted the bar black, it looked great.
                      Tracy
                      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                      Current Mods:
                      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

aside from the the theft aspect of the amp being there..something about my amp being pre warmed doesnt sound good to me lol

i already worry about it sitting in non direct sunlight

i push about 1150 watts RMS at 12.9 volts which is a little less then ur JL right?? i have not had a chance to play with to many JL amps for long periods of time though so i dont know how warm they run

edit that is the 500/1 isnt it?? so u probably dont have a problem with heat never mind ima tard lol

Comment

Working...
                        X