454, or 305

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 454, or 305

I recently got myself an 83 Trans/bird, it's in pretty good condition. Its got a bit of rust, needed a new alt, and other minor details, but is running great, especially considering its 180k kms.

my goals are really to get it going as quick as i can, ofcourse, and be most cost efficent, as i dont have too much money to spend, yet.

I am going to keep the car so, i do want to have room for further improvements ofcourse.
    for now, I've got about 1500$ to blow.

now, heres where im stuck.

I've got a 454 sitting in my 68 chev that I plan on using as a winter vehicle.
    The 454 needs a new cam... and the frost plugs back in. (my rad was leaking, so i fixed it and forgot i had water in it... but the plugs saved me.. *duuh*)
    So while im at that i'de just do an entire rebuild, as it could really use it.

I can't decide, should i save up a little more, get a new cam, rebuild kit, tranny and toss it in the bird and go with that?
    Or should i just get some headders, cat back exh, new carb, and fix up the rust and other minor details?

what would some good times, with what sortof setup running the 305, would it be worth it?

any suggestions, and recommendations are appreciated
    thanks!
    '83 Z28 Camaro. 350/325HP, 3:73's, comp.cam, hedman headers, 650 carter carb, 1 inch spacer, edelbrock performer, K&N, 3" flowmaster, t-tops, 18" Torq thrust-II's and a big bad 4" cowl.

Putting a big block in is way way more work.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
    Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
    6.2L/382.97 ci
    Custom PROM Dyno tuned
    WCT-5 speed
    BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
    Boss MS 18" Rims
    Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
    Custom Dual exhaust
    1LE upgrade
    Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
    In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

yeah, i didnt doubt that for a second.
      '83 Z28 Camaro. 350/325HP, 3:73's, comp.cam, hedman headers, 650 carter carb, 1 inch spacer, edelbrock performer, K&N, 3" flowmaster, t-tops, 18" Torq thrust-II's and a big bad 4" cowl.

Comment

Originally posted by Red|ine
        I recently got myself an 83 Trans/bird, it's in pretty good condition. Its got a bit of rust, needed a new alt, and other minor details, but is running great, especially considering its 180k kms.

my goals are really to get it going as quick as i can, but be most cost efficent i am going to keep the car so, i do want to have room for further improvements ofcourse.
        for now, I've got about 1500$ to blow.

now, heres where im stuck.

I've got a 454 sitting in my 68 chev that I plan on using as a winter vehicle.

the 454 needs a new cam... and the frost plugs back in. (my rad was leaking, so i fixed it and forgot i had water in it... but the plugs saved me.. *duuh*)

So while im at that i'de just do an entire rebuild, as it could really use it.

I can't decide, should i save up a little more, get a new cam, rebuild kit, tranny and toss it in the bird and go with that?

or should i just get some headders, cat back exh, new carb, and fix up the rust and other minor details?

what would be my best times, with what sortof setup running the 305, would it be worth it?

any suggestions, and recommendations are appreciated
        thanks!
        I'd spend the money on improving the car overall. Have any rust repaired, get the nose repainted, etc... Does it need shocks? Brakes? tires? Are the seats and carpet in mint condition?

If it is already in acceptable condition to you (I'm a perfectionist) then start on motor mods.

The 305 is a waste of time. The 454 is a tight fit but can be done. I'd stick with a small block. Build a nice 400 for it. Get some corvette L98 aluminum heads and stick a nice cam in it. You could even get a complete TPI setup on it for pretty cheap(swap meet). Add headers and a catback, you are in business.

With that in mind, and the fact the headers will fit any small block, I'd have it fixed up overall, and spend the rest on headers and catback, with a high flow cat. Do the motor next time you have another bunch of $$ to blow.
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Shocks and breaks sofar seem good to go, tires are a little worn, but do not need replacing.

I just got the car, havent even put 100kms on it yet. Interior is mint, exept a couple rips in the drivers seat, which can be fixed for about 50 bucks at an aphaulstry place near home..

Yeah, i guess i should further investigate EXACTLY how bad the rust is before i really start doing anything else, what diameter headders would I pickup?

"You could even get a complete TPI setup on it for pretty cheap(swap meet)."
          think so? how cheap?

Comment

Shocks and breaks sofar seem good to go, tires are a little worn, but do not need replacing.

I just got the car, havent even put 100kms on it yet. Interior is mint, exept a couple rips in the drivers seat, which can be fixed for about 50 bucks at an aphaulstry place near home..

Yeah, i guess i should further investigate EXACTLY how bad the rust is before i really start doing anything else, what diameter headders would I pickup?

"You could even get a complete TPI setup on it for pretty cheap(swap meet)."
            think so? how cheap?
            You'll need:

Intake manifold
            Intake runners (2)
            plenum
            throttle body
            fuel rails with regulator and injectors
            distributor trim piece
            harness and PCM
            Distributor

Here is an ebay auction for the works. It would be a good start. $600 "buy it now".
            Tracy
            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
            Current Mods:
            SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

great, thanks!

and that would convert over to a 400, right?

Comment

great, thanks!

and that would convert over to a 400, right?
                With bigger injectors and a custom flashed chip in the PCM, yes. I would also recommend having the throttle body bored out. There are guys on these forums that can do it.

You may decide at some point to also get "high flow" runners and base. You can spend as much as you want, but this would at least get you started.

The PCM will need to have a chip in it designed specifically for your motor. Once it is built, send all the specs in and have a chip burned. This will cost a couple hundred bucks, but updates are usually free or low cost after you get the first one.
                Tracy
                2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                Current Mods:

Comment

good good.. thanks Tracy

Comment

Working...
                  X