What makes people so rude?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes people so rude?

My business is based on the phone. I typically make close to 80 phone calls a day - not cold calls either. Warm leads coming in to us from websites like "Lending Tree", etc...

So naturally, I talk to quite a few characters during the day. Some people go out of their way to be friendly, and others just treat you like dirt. Well, I am a little steamed still, so I hope y'all don't mind me venting a little bit.

I had been working on this lead for close to a month. Calling periodically, but never getting a response. Pretty typical, really -- people are just too busy. Last night I got a hold of the guy's wife, she tells me he gets home at around 8 PM and to call then tomorrow. So I decide I am going to stay late on a Friday night to call him.

Well, 8 o'clock rolls around and I give him a ring. Here's the conversation...

"Hi, this is Jay calling about your refinance."

"Who?!!?!?!"

"Jay, calling about home...."

(he interrupts me)

"I'm not interested thanks."

"OK, William, that's fine but before I let you go I want to make sure you have secured everything and you are all set... I am simply responding to the inquiry you submitted over the..."

(he interrupts me)

"Let's just cut to the chase here, give me your rate."

(First of all, our rates are all over the place because of all the different kinds of mortgages there are. Second of all, I am not paid to quote rates. He can pick up a Wall Street Journal if he wants that - my job is to find out how I can get him into a mortgage that is the most advantageous given his circumstances. But since he was obviously about to hang up, I figured I would throw him a bone to keep him on the line...)

"Well, give me one second and let me pull them up here...."

"Dude, you should have already had that up if you were going to call me."

(I honestly started laughing at him.) "Excuse me?"

"Cut through the crap, I want to know your rate, just tell me it. I know you know it."

"Fine. We are in the low 6s on a 30-year..."

(he interrupts me again)

"Low 6s... I am at 4.7 on a..."

(I interrupt HIM)

"Congratulations, William. That's outstanding. You have a wonderful night."

Conversation terminated.

Because this guy was such a pompous, arrogant jerk, he has no idea that no matter what program he has, I would be able to lower his payment. But I was so fed up with the way I was treated, I no longer wanted him as a client. He can take the comission check I would have earned from him and shoved it up his (_|_)
    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

That sucks! Just forget about him and go have a Heineken!

Kinda opposite, but this reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry gets a call from a telemarketer and then he asks the caller if he can get their number so he can call them back at home. The telemarketer makes an inaudible comment and then Jerry says " oh so you don't like people calling you at home......now you know how I feel!" and then hangs up. hehe

I'm sure that he won't be the last rude prospect, but just keep diggin'! I smell a ProCharger in your very near future.

Comment

sup jay,
      i would'nt be able to do your j-o-b...your one talented dude
      anyway..i'm super busy with two jobs - school - my golf game - my Z28 - etc....i will give you a call this week no, for real...
      sweet sig pic....looks like kevins work.....hey i read your post on buying a turbo audi or something...after looking at your sig pic..your nutz that RAM AIR is way sweet to get rid of if you ask me...well maybe for a z06??
      eddie
      1995 Z28 A4, SCC Ultra Z Hood with Air box/K&N filter, Granatelli Maf Sensor/Fernco bellow/Hotchkis STB/white face gauges/LT4 Knock module/March pullies/160* stat without Hypertech Tunning/Borla 3" y-pipe/HI Flo 3" cat/SLP Loudmouth/GM Motive 3.73's + TA rear end girdle/Afs ZR1's silver painted with polished lip 17x9.5 front & 17x11 out back/98 tail light's/BMR SFC's/spohn Lca's/spohn relo brackets & spohn adj. panhard rod " coated mid lenght pacesetters headers + 1.6rr + custom pc tuning going on soon hopefully "

Comment

i also work on the phone for a living, only i take incoming calls as well as making outbound calls...probably about 50/50

by the time i get home, i have absolutely no desire to talk on the phone, unless i'm expecting a call from someone.....and the telemarketers get absolutely 0% mercy....especially since i work overnights and sleep during the day

probably the funniest thing i like to do when they call is come over to my computer and start playing some really raunchy pr0n vids with the sound cranked up.....

Red '02 Z28 M6 - purchased 6/24/04 with 11,706 miles
        CAGS Eliminator

Comment

I think you are experiencing the result of people being beat up by telemarketers. I know you aren't one. People have just been beat up so badly by sales people that they don't like to be disturbed. I know they inquired online and you were just responding but they still perceive you as an "outsider" and someone that is just trying to get into their pockets. I couldn't do your work because I take things too personally. Just let it flow off your back. It's not a personal thing.
          LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

I'd chalk it up as just a bad day at work.

Comment

It's Miller Time.
              Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

Next...It's a numbers game!!

Blow it off, you should have thanked him, now you are one call closer to a real prospect. He will get his, it's all about karma! He will go through life never having a clear understanding of the options he could have on his plate had he possesed an open mind and engaged in a non abusive dialogue. Bottom line: Go on to your next call! I have been working on the telephone since 1973, believe me, I have been there. One of the benefits of working on the phone in any capacity is that your next appointment is just a phone call away, and when you are succesful, you get paid your reward for all of the abuse. It's called a commission check. So pick yourself up, dust off the abuse, and get back on the phone!

Comment

Working...
                X