Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nitrous System and Hypertech

Hello Guys:
    During this weekend I will be installing a Nitrous Works System (also Hotchkis rear suspension) on my 97 Z28 and I will like to know if the Hypertech Program can be left on the car computer or I need to remove it before using the nitrous system. Some folks told me that the programmer can hurt the engine (forward the timing). Thanks...
    '97 30th Anniversary Z28 - K&N Intake, Granatelli MAF, BBK Headers, Underdrive Pulley, SLP 3" Loudmouth, Hypertech Programmer & 160 Thermostat, 1.6 Rollers, Nitrous Works System (150hp) & Hotchkis Rear Suspension.

The HPP "power programming" adds little (if anything), so I wouldn't risk leaving it in there with anything over a 100-shot. You can keep the reduced fan on/off temps, but ditch the "power program". They probably didn't add too much timing, because the stock programming is already fairly aggressive, but why take a chance with anything over a 100-shot.

The alternative would be to simply add a timing retard box, so that if you feel you are getting any value out of the HPP power progamming running N/A, you could keep it, with the retard applied when you spray.

I notice you also have the Granatelli MAF. That is basically a stock MAF sensor with the electronics altered to make the sensor under-report the air flow, in an attempt to lean out the WOT A/F ratio, to compensate for the excessively rich PE target A/F ratio in the stock program. I think their electronic "alteration" is so crude that it only works in about 1/2 the cases, but in any event, if that is leaning out your A/F ratio at WOT, you need to watch your fuel jet selection very carefully when you set up your nitrous. Personally, I would not use the HPP power programming or the MAF on a relatively stock setup.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
    X