Supercharging a LT1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supercharging a LT1

Ok my buddy is buying a fully rebuilt powerdyne supercharger for 1000 bucks. He has a 95 Z with almost 80k miles on it. He has a 3.73 gear and a hypertech. Thats it. He thinks he can just put this supercharger on and not have any problems. He will be running a 6 pound boost. Is there anything he should do to his car along with the blower. Tuning, exhaust, larger injectors.ect... I think he will have some problems of some sort if he just strapps it on and does nothing else.
    Thanks
    Tom
    1996 Trans Am:T-tops,graphite leather,16" chrome T/A rims, Nitto's, Descreened MAF, Morosso CAI, hypertech, flowtech cut out, 1LE elbow, Silver BMR tubular SFC's, 160 thermo, limo tint, harwood ws6 hood, !side molding, Stage 2 trans.

Looking for a driver side window.

IF he wants to have some longentivity out of the engine, more than a few short runs at WOT, the compression needs to be lowered to around 9.3 to 9.5, so some rods and pistons. There have been previous posts to this question, so you may want to do a search.
    The Old Guy! '94 z-28, m-6, t-tops, go-fast red, 316k. Now with '96 engine w/ Lt-4 hot cam, roller rockers, heavy duty timing chain, and Spec stage 2 clutch.

Comment

At 6 psi, I wouldn't worry so much about the bottom end, but it would need tuning done.

Probably injectors and/or fuel rails too, but I am not so sure on that.
      Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

He needs a better fuel pump or a booster pump in-line. Also a FMU to boost the fuel pressure under boost or larger injectors. The ignition system also needs a MSD, Crane, or similar amplifier to ensure spark under boost and a boost retard feature to pull the timing.

The stock rods will hold up, but the pistons are weak, and if the timing is too advanced, or the engine runs lean causing detonation, they will break at the lands. It's rpms that kill rods & rod bolts more than torque.

He can get by with a stock tune if he has the boost retard & FMU unless he goes witht the bigger injectors, then he needs to adjust for that. Of course, he would make more power from a custom tune matched to his mods, and have a better assurance of his fuel & timing being right to keep him out of the danger zone.

Comment

Ok he finally got the supercharger. He got MSD ignistion, not sure on the brand of performance fuel pump and somehithing else. He got all the pluse the fully rebuilt blower for 1200 bucks. Not a bad deal id say.
          1996 Trans Am:T-tops,graphite leather,16" chrome T/A rims, Nitto's, Descreened MAF, Morosso CAI, hypertech, flowtech cut out, 1LE elbow, Silver BMR tubular SFC's, 160 thermo, limo tint, harwood ws6 hood, !side molding, Stage 2 trans.

Looking for a driver side window.

Comment

Yes it's a very good deal. You may want to run a boost guage to see how it's working. It hooks into any vaccuum line off the intake manifold.
            After I installed mine the guage only reads 4 psi instead of 6 although it has the 6 psi pulley.
            Someone on cz28 posted a thread about the powerdynes and how the stock air inlet tube is restrictive for a supercharged application.
            A 4" inlet tube can be fabricated easily out of white ABS tubing and some 3" to 4" fittings to hook it into the MAF and K&N on one side and the inlet elbow to the blower on the other side. Home Depot or your local hardware store.
            They said they picked up 2 psi on 2 different cars they did this to.
            I'm gonna do this mod to my Powerdyne setup tomorrow.
            Should only take a few hours.
            97 Z28 Vert A4, TPiS Longtubes, Motive 3.73, Powerdyne 6 psi S/C w/ bypass valve, Mad Z28 PCM tune, MSD 6A, #30 SVO Injectors, custom Random dual cat y-pipe. Magnaflow, factory SS rear spoiler w RS skirt kit, Cragar Classic 5 spokes, Line lock, Transgo shift kit,Gearvendors .78 Overdrive for highway.

Comment

Working...
            X