ken, question about big throttle bodies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ken, question about big throttle bodies

you osaid with my mods i could not benifit from a 58mm throttle body, what kind of mods would i need to benifit from that?

1996 Trans Am WS6 #34
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/gunter96ws6

Just a reference point or two.... my 381ci stroker, turning in excess of 7,000rpm and making 500HP was only using 77% of the flow capacity of the 58mm Holley throttle body. That is confirmed with engine dyno testing. GM puts the same 48mm TB as the LT1 on their RamJet 502ci/502HP crate engine.

Here a link to an interesting thread where someone dyno's a 48mm vs. a 58mm TB on a realtively stock setup, and lost HP.

48mm vs 58mm TB Dyno
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

fred said it best my friend.

untill you do heads, cam..and all that stuff.... stay TB O.E.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
      Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
      sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Plus, with the 58mm TB you would need to enlarge the openings on the stock intake to match the 58mm, they are only 52mm.
        69 Z28 with JL8 factory 4 wheel disc brakes, crossram, transistor ignition, radio delete, heater delete - being restored
        70 SS 396 L78 documented, #'s matching
        2000 SS Camaro daily beater

Comment

could i benifit from a 52mm?

1996 Trans Am WS6 #34
          http://www.cardomain.com/id/gunter96ws6

Comment

could i benifit from a 52mm?
            Maybe. Maybe not. It wouldn't hurt, but consider the following:

Do you get traction with the power you already have? If not maybe you could spend the $300 on suspension or chassis upgrades. A lot of guys let the engine get ahead of the chassis setup (see my 60' time ). In my case, I need to get traction before any more go fast mods... Just a suggestion to help you have a more balanced setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
              Do you get traction with the power you already have? If not maybe you could spend the $300 on suspension or chassis upgrades. A lot of guys let the engine get ahead of the chassis setup.
              I REALLY agree with Kevin. I would first set up the suspension. That is what I am doing to my car. I went with all SLP, mainly due to cost...subframes, strut tower, and the level one package, and ZR1 wheels with 315/35/17s in back, but I will purchase the BMR adjustable parts when I pull the motor in a few years along with the front saddle and control arms. However, I am setting up my car mostly for autocrossing. I will probably put a 100-150 shot nitrous system on it now (for fun), and leave it until I decide to pull the motor and build it exactly the way on want it (with a blower to counteract the altitude loss here in Denver). I also agree with Fred and Ken, but there is a benefit to using a 52mm at high altitudes on a stock motor; if you are at sea level or under 2,000 ft, save your money. I wouldn't put a 58 on it unless you plan to use a blower, and get your intake machined to mach it along with some highly worked heads.
              '77 K5 rock-crawler project
              '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
              '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
              '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
              '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
              My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
              Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Just to throw another view into the mix

I bought a 58mm AS&M TB before I started this 355 build-up I'm currently undergoing, but I did have a LT4 setup at the time and did not loose any HP but the gains were minimal.

NOW, I did know that I would be going bigger and badder than the LT4 had to offer so it was room for growth to me and I have to be honest, the darn thing just looks SO nice in there, LOL.

So if you plan on going with aftermarket heads and a nasty bump stick...then knock yourself out...if you don't plan on going more radical than a LT4 setup...stick with the stocker or no larger than a 52mm, the mod money could be better spent else where.

Just my .02

KnightFire
                1993 Formula Firebird
                Check Homepage for mods and photos...

KnightFire's Lair

Amsoil Dealer

Comment

Working...
                X