time for new ignition?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• time for new ignition?

Man, the problems never seem to end for the T/A...
    I was driving around 40 mph and hit the gas roughly 1/4 to 1/3 down...enough for a bit of passing power. The motor didn't respond at all...like a huge flat spot, then a second later "booom" it backfired. I'm thinking, the cylinder(s) filled up with gas because there was no spark, then once the spark came back, all the fuel ignited. Sometimes the acceleration seems to "studder" or is sluggish, as well. So does this sound like an ignition module problem - especially considering I have a new coil, opti, plugs, wires, fuel system? Thanks in advance...again.
    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Yeah, honestly it sounds like your ignition is off. But maybe an error was made elsewhere in all your installation of the list you gave of new parts. Test all that *stuff* before making a decision to screw with the timing.
    1986 Trans Am 5.0 TPI, stock for the very moment.

1979 10 ann. Trans Am, 400 4 bbl bored .030 flat top speed pro pistons, edelbrock performer heads and intake. mild cam. Lookin to make her fuel injected!

HOOAH!

Comment

negotiator, not trying to be an a** but you need to censor yourself a little bit. This board prides itself on being a family friendly board and does not permit swearing, etc. I've already seen a couple of posts you've made that have contained this. I personally don't care and it doesn't offend me, just giving you a friendly warning that the moderators on this board take it very seriously and you will be booted if it doesn't stop.
      Dave M
      Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Originally posted by Negotiator
        Yeah, honestly it sounds like your ignition is off. But maybe an error was made elsewhere in all your installation of the list you gave of new parts. Test all that *stuff* before making a decision to screw with the timing.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
        Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
        sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

ever find the problem, i have the EXACT same problem with my 94 formula

Comment

Originally posted by Dave M
            negotiator, not trying to be an a** but you need to censor yourself a little bit. This board prides itself on being a family friendly board and does not permit swearing, etc. I've already seen a couple of posts you've made that have contained this. I personally don't care and it doesn't offend me, just giving you a friendly warning that the moderators on this board take it very seriously and you will be booted if it doesn't stop.
            Your completely right, I am really embarrassed, my posts should be clean, I apologize to everyone.

1979 10 ann. Trans Am, 400 4 bbl bored .030 flat top speed pro pistons, edelbrock performer heads and intake. mild cam. Lookin to make her fuel injected!

HOOAH!

Comment

Originally posted by Negotiator
              Your completely right, I am really embarrassed, my posts should be clean, I apologize to everyone.
              hugs...............

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
              Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
              sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Oh sure make my thread the fight and makeup one

lol just messin with you guys.

I bought a new ignition control module and will see if that cures the problem...only thing is that I have to wait for UPS ground shipping
                94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

UPS takes forever! Argh! i've ordered alot of things and Ups ground takes the longest. Im eager to hear the result of your problem too. Hehe, there was no fight, just chastisement i was due becuz of profanity, i was completely in the wrong.

HOOAH!

Comment

Yea, I know...I was just playin with you guys.

Regarding the ignition module, I think that's the only other thing I haven't replaced regarding the electrical/fuel system. So it better work...plus I just ordered 1.6 RRs, LT4 springs, etc so hopefully the motor will like those too

Comment

I could be wrong, but if it was your ignition, wouldn't you be having problems starting it rather than driving it? To me those are signs of a bad opti. Giving it gas at 40 and backfiring?
                      Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

One more thang, Craig, are you a truck driver?
                        Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

Originally posted by Craig 94 TA GT
                          Yea, I know...I was just playin with you guys.

Regarding the ignition module, I think that's the only other thing I haven't replaced regarding the electrical/fuel system. So it better work...plus I just ordered 1.6 RRs, LT4 springs, etc so hopefully the motor will like those too

Yeah, your motor will love those..except the ignition problem..if it really is an ignition problem will take precedance over the mods, so i hope you find the problem before you get all excited about your upgrades. Ive gotta agree, it does sound like that worthless optispark. however, you claimed to have replaced it. Was it brand new? used? reman?

HOOAH!

Comment

The opti was brand new, installed in January, and has less than 3000 miles on it. It was installed "professionally" by a shop...so it's still under warranty. I would have no problem taking it back...except for the fact that I wouldn't have the T/A for a day or two.

lol, I'm not a truck driver and would/could never be one...the only reason that's in my avatar is because some drivers out there (especially here in CA) pi$$ me off so bad, I want to crush them with a Peterbilt lol

Comment

Working...
                            X