Siezed LS! update......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Siezed LS! update......

Hey everybody. First of all, allow me to apologize for not providing an update sooner. You may recall around a month and a half ago, I posted messages mentioning my LS1 which appeared to be siezed. Well, it turned out to be a thrown rod due to bolt failure. There was about a six inch chunk separated from the block, that was painful to see. GM replaced the engine with a new complete motor under warranty. The motor comes with a three year, eighty thousand kilometer warranty. Most people would be thrilled. I however am not. I planned to keep the car until the end of time, now that it is no longer a numbers matching unit, it is for sale.

I am hoping that somebody can offer some insight as to how much I should ask. The car is a 1999 Firebird Trans am (36000 km) complete with the WS6 package. It is red in colour with the six speed. I recently installed an SLP loudmouth cat-back system. The only other mod to speak of, is a Hurst billet plus shifter.

Any and all input and thoughts would be appreciated. Oh yes, the car is located in northern Canada.

Thanks in advance,

Jamie

Originally posted by 09851
    Hey everybody. First of all, allow me to apologize for not providing an update sooner. You may recall around a month and a half ago, I posted messages mentioning my LS1 which appeared to be siezed. Well, it turned out to be a thrown rod due to bolt failure. There was about a six inch chunk separated from the block, that was painful to see. GM replaced the engine with a new complete motor under warranty. The motor comes with a three year, eighty thousand kilometer warranty. Most people would be thrilled. I however am not. I planned to keep the car until the end of time, now that it is no longer a numbers matching unit, it is for sale.

I am hoping that somebody can offer some insight as to how much I should ask. The car is a 1999 Firebird Trans am (36000 km) complete with the WS6 package. It is red in colour with the six speed. I recently installed an SLP loudmouth cat-back system. The only other mod to speak of, is a Hurst billet plus shifter.

Any and all input and thoughts would be appreciated. Oh yes, the car is located in northern Canada.

Thanks in advance,

Jamie
    Nobody pays much attention to "numbers matching" on Trans Ams, unless they are antique special collectors edditions. If you are looking at the car for investment potential, you are way better off puting your money someplace else. It is going to be a LONG time before your car is worth enough that matching numbers makes a difference in its value.

Actually, I'd say your car is worth more already because it has a new motor in it, NOT less!
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Do modern cars even have a number that matches the engine to the car?

Comment

Please allow me to clarify a few things. I am not concerned at a drop in value since the engine has been changed. The everage buyer would not have the slightest clue that this has occured and likely will not care when I tell him. I am simply not interested in owning this car forever, mostly because I am a sentimental person who bought this very car to hang on to, as a symbol of the American muscle car. I come from a General motors family where the Firebird was a lifestyle, not just an automobile. I was raised with the principles that a classic car is virtually worthless when the numbers do not match. This statement needs to be taken with a grain of salt and can be interpreted in many different ways..... I guess in a nutshell, I no longer want to keep the car forever and would like to see it sell to an enthusiast for a fair price. I just need to get some numbers to get me started.

Jamie

Comment

Originally posted by 09851
          Please allow me to clarify a few things. I am not concerned at a drop in value since the engine has been changed. The everage buyer would not have the slightest clue that this has occured and likely will not care when I tell him. I am simply not interested in owning this car forever, mostly because I am a sentimental person who bought this very car to hang on to, as a symbol of the American muscle car. I come from a General motors family where the Firebird was a lifestyle, not just an automobile. I was raised with the principles that a classic car is virtually worthless when the numbers do not match. This statement needs to be taken with a grain of salt and can be interpreted in many different ways..... I guess in a nutshell, I no longer want to keep the car forever and would like to see it sell to an enthusiast for a fair price. I just need to get some numbers to get me started.

Jamie
          Jamie where exactly in Northern Canada are you located? Can you send me some good pics of the car to: kevinsgrubbs@hotmail.com

I am interested in the car if the price is right.

Comment

I am located in the Northwest Territorries. I will send pics along. Unfortunately I will not be able to do that until early next week as I am working in a remote camp right now.

Also, my older brother is parting with his 1995 Trans Am. It is red with the six speed. It does have t-tops. We would certainly be intersted in making some lucky enthusiast an awesome deal on the pair.

Jamie

Comment

I am from alberta and I am also interested in the car. Ill just wait for the pics.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
              Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
              6.2L/382.97 ci
              Custom PROM Dyno tuned
              WCT-5 speed
              BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
              Boss MS 18" Rims
              Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
              Custom Dual exhaust
              1LE upgrade
              Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
              In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

use kbb.com, kelly blue book, and punch in the information and it will tell you the average price for the vehicle.
                2006 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, Blue Leather Interior
                Traded in: 1998 Z28
                http://www.cardomain.com/id/hotwhip9

Comment

I have pics available now. Email me at stringerjamie@hotmail.com if you would like to see them.

Comment

Working...
                  X