NFB: Broke off Caliper Bolt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFB: Broke off Caliper Bolt

Just as stated above, I was checking the front brakes on the family beater car, a 1992 Mercury Grand Marquis. I was finishing up but when I tightened up the last caliper bolt, it snapped and broke. It's broke about halfway in the caliper, which also means that the caliper cannot come off. After I first did this, I figured that I could just use my Craftsman screw extractors (despite the name, it works on bolts too), which I have used before with success. So I drilled a hole in the broken off section of the bolt and tried using the screw extractor, but the broken bolt won't budge at all. I don't know what to do now. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice? I'd like to get this car back on the road as soon as I can, but right now I'm stuck. Thank you for any help.

Ben
    1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
    Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
    Trans: TH700R4
    Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

i know i can not help u..and im sorry for that

but a friend of mine broke a bolt off in his thermostat on his 95 civic..now it is leaking

so i was wondering if u could explain the screw extracters u use??

again i know im of no help im usually not lol

Comment

Yeah, I can explain.

The "screw extractors" look kinda similar to drill bits. To use them you drill a hole in the center of what you broke off, then you put the appropriate screw extractor in the chuck of the drill and in the hole you drilled. Put the drill in reverse, and when you do this the screw extractor should dig into the broken bolt/screw and unscrew it loose. This is probably not the best explanation, but you should get the general idea. I got mine at Sears, they're Craftsman. It all works similar to an E-Z Out, IIRC.

Does anybody have any suggestions or advice at all yet? I'm still stuck.

CarDomain Site

Comment

wow...you got yourself in bind....if you couldn't get them out with the extractors....you're up a creek.

is it the top or bottom?

if it was me...as long as it either or you still can change you pads...as for your rotors, you have to get the caliper off. Until then, I'd try to forget about it for now.

If you can't get off, looks like you're gonna be operating...you might want to cut the bolt off (in between the caliper and bracket) and try to extract them in smaller pieces..

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
        Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
        B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
        Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
        Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Well, I just now got it off. It took a combination of heat (from trying to cut it), WD40, drilling, and a vise grip to back it out. I think I was about this { } close to setting the car on fire. Luckily I got it out, though. Another leason learned, I guess. Thank you for the suggestion, LimTeng99TransAm. It was the upper caliper bolt and I was attempting to cut it off, just like you said. I'm just glad it's over .

Thank you once again!

CarDomain Site

Comment

Next time if there is one buy a set of easy outs. They are kinda like scew extractors, but they are a square block of steel with teeth cut into them. you must dril a pilot hole first. One not never break them off because if you do they are made of harder steel than any drill bit so then your up the creek!

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
            Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
            6.2L/382.97 ci
            Custom PROM Dyno tuned
            WCT-5 speed
            BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
            Boss MS 18" Rims
            Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
            Custom Dual exhaust
            1LE upgrade
            Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
            In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

so what would u suggest to do if u can not get a drill in level with the busted screw..what i mean is if i tried to drill a hole the hole would not be straight

...it looks like there is enough of it sticking out to grab it with a pair of vise grips..but id rather not start out the dumb and dumber way, rather save that as a last resort

also congrats on getting the bolt out =)

Comment

Can you center punch the bolt?
                that may be just enough to start the hole, also try using a small hole forst then drilling it out.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
                Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
                6.2L/382.97 ci
                Custom PROM Dyno tuned
                WCT-5 speed
                BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
                Boss MS 18" Rims
                Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
                Custom Dual exhaust
                1LE upgrade
                Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
                In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

center punch..sweet thanks for the tips =)

Comment

A center punch is a good idea, I'm going to have to remember that one. If you can't get it with a center punch, I would try some pliers or vice grips on the bolt. Drilling it (either drilling the center and using something like an E-Z Out or screw extractors) should be a last resort, at least in my opinion. It's not fun.

CarDomain Site

Comment

im just affraid that if we try and pull it out with a pair of vise grips we might deform the hole..or mangle the bolt so much we cant get a drill bit to sit in the middle of it

i told the idiot not to force things lol thats what he gets for working on the engine while it is piping hot

Comment

Working...
                      X