Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When it's raining i have probs with my pontiac formula'94

Hello,

I am Tony from The Netherlands and I have problems with my car (Pntiac Firebird Formula 1994)

When the weather changes to bad conditions , raining or something like that , than I have a lot of problems with my car.
    When I give some gas the car is spinning , the backsite of the car turns.
    I have front 245-50-16 Goodyear and in the back 255-50-16 also Goodyear's.
    Before I bougt this car , I had the 3.4 Firebird , and also here I have got the same problems.

The other problem is , when I drive with good conditions and the road is bad ( I don't know how to say it , but truck's make small holes in the way).
    Then the car goes every way , I must keep him on the road.
    Do know somebody what the problem good be?

Sorry my english is not my best language , nut I like US Car a lot.

Thank you

Originally posted by Pontiformula1994
    Hello,

I am Tony from The Netherlands and I have problems with my car (Pntiac Firebird Formula 1994)

When the weather changes to bad conditions , raining or something like that , than I have a lot of problems with my car.
    When I give some gas the car is spinning , the backsite of the car turns.
    I have front 245-50-16 Goodyear and in the back 255-50-16 also Goodyear's.
    Before I bougt this car , I had the 3.4 Firebird , and also here I have got the same problems.

The other problem is , when I drive with good conditions and the road is bad ( I don't know how to say it , but truck's make small holes in the way).
    Then the car goes every way , I must keep him on the road.
    Do know somebody what the problem good be?

Sorry my english is not my best language , nut I like US Car a lot.

Thank you
    Welcome Tony.

When going around a corner in the rain it is common for the rear of the car to slide a bit if you are giving it too much throttle. I suggest using less throttle and going more slowly around corners in the rain.

Our cars have rear wheel drive with a limited slip differential. That makes them perform well on dry streets, but when it rains, corners can get tricky.

Another factor that contributes to the problem is that the automatic transmission tends to shift into second gear during the turn, and the jerk from the shift can cause a slide in the rain.

I thinnk the other problem you are noticing is "rut wander". Our cars have very wide tires and the ruts/holes in the road can tend to make it pull to the side. Depending on your allignment and type of tire it can be worse.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Ok thank you ,

Most I buy other tyres?
      And so yes , what is the best for this car?
      Brand + Type?

Tony

Comment

I'm not sure what type of tires (tyers) you can get your hands on in the Neds...but guys here, me too, we like BFGoodrich G-Force KD

here's a link for tires....

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...g=ZR&x=11&y=13

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
        Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
        B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
        Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
        Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Originally posted by Pontiformula1994
          Ok thank you ,

Most I buy other tyres?
          And so yes , what is the best for this car?
          Brand + Type?

Tony
          What you want to make sure is that it is just the tires pulling. There should be no play in the steering at all. A common problem is the steering shaft coupler that is called a rag joint. The rivets lose their grip on the rubber isolator and the play gets worse the more you drive it. The other issue is either the inner and outer tie rod ends or the steering rack itself.

The tires would have to be much narrower that stock to eliminate the tendency and that would not be advisable. It gets worse the wider the tire. The best you can do is eliminate all slop in the steering so that the car doesn't change directions without a physical movement of the steering wheel. You would be suprised at how much slop we get accustomed to when we don't really pay attention to it. As long as you feel it pull and you can correct, that's about the best you can hope for. What you don't want is a sudden change of direction before the steering wheel takes up slack.

Sometimes my C4 corvettes reminded me of wrestling when negotiating all these truck ruined back highways. Even they would pull.

Comment

Just a note,

I use to have GoodYear Eagles and they were Z rated tires. I noticed that due to the large tread blocks, the tires handled poorly in any type of rain sleet or snow.

I replaced those tires with slower rated tires, I forget what I have on there now, anyways, Instead of SUPER FAST Racing tires, I bought 130mile an hour all weather tires. Now i have smaller tread blocks, not as good in turns, but better in rain.

Also if you have a 1994, make sure that you replace your shocks regularly. If not, it makes for a bumpy rough ride and its hard to control on rough roads.

ALSO TONY, little holes in the road are called POT HOLES in America

Comment

The problems you described are just normal characteristics of these cars. Like others have said, the wide tires cause the car to jump all over the place on uneven roads, and because of the rear wheel drive, driving in foul weather can be tricky at best, and dangerous at worst. These are definately fair weather cars.
              Dave M
              Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Working...
              X