chevy rant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chevy rant

These cars are such a PITA to work on. Wheel locks? Why? Something as simple as a brake job turns into a mess when the wheel lock key is missing from my glove box, where I left it after the last time I used it on my front brakes.

Ford guys just aren't having problems like this. Should have bought the Cobra...

No, not really, just ticked at all the ridiculous chevy-only crap that I hate dealing with.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Originally posted by raroZ28
    These cars are such a PITA to work on. Wheel locks? Why? Something as simple as a brake job turns into a mess when the wheel lock key is missing from my glove box, where I left it after the last time I used it on my front brakes.

Ford guys just aren't having problems like this. Should have bought the Cobra...

No, not really, just ticked at all the ridiculous chevy-only crap that I hate dealing with.
    Have you ever owned a Mustang? There is just as much, if not more Ford-only-crap.

The SBC is an amazing engine, far superior to the ford motors. The Gen III motors blow away modular Ford stuff.

Try building a small block ford. Nothing is standard. ring gears, starters are different sizes and teeth. There are tons of little bugs.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Dude, I can understand your frustration with the wheel locks, but trust me. Ford only gets worse. Try doing the rear disc brakes on some of their crap. Ever had to screw a piston in? Biggest PITA ever. Just keep calm...you'll find it. Afterward, do like I do...keep the key in the glove box. You'll always know where its at. Take care.
      Steve
      79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
      87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
      93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
      http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

I know Ford sucks, but they're not dealing with this lol

It WAS in my glove box... It just isn't anymore.
        97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

Comment

Isn't a wheel lock a non-make issue? If you lose a wheel lock key for any of the makes such as Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Honda, Toyota, etc., etc., you are pretty much screwed. I lost the key to my Blazer last year, and I ended up drilling them out. It happens. Anyhow, if you have the OEM locks still on your car, the dealership has the key; drive it down there and they will take off the locks for you...I had to do that with my old '90.
          '77 K5 rock-crawler project
          '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
          '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
          '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
          '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
          My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
          Thomas Jefferson

Comment

All things lead to more tools :-)

Snap-On makes a tool set for removing lug locks that have gone awry. It is a set of sockets that you use on the end of an impact that have reverse flues cut in them that grab the outside of the lock and remove it. This only works of you do not have the McGard locks with rotating collars. If they are factory locks, I have removed these with an appropriate sized 12pt socket and an impact gun. Good luck.

-Paul

p.s. I have also been known to tack weld a nut on the end of the sucker and take ot off with a wrench.

These are not specific to any make or model like was said above. I have had to do this to many, many cars and trucks that have the key get lost or the lock gets rusty.

p.p.s I never use lug locks. Waste of time as far as I am concerned. If they want your wheels bad enough, they are going to get them.

WickedLT1's Home on the Web - Wicked Pictures
            95 - Trans Am - LT1 - 6Speed
            Car Status: Hmm, winter projects coming up...

Comment

Do you think a wheel lock key from another camaro would work?

Comment

no
                Tracy
                2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                Current Mods:
                SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

If by chance you have the right combination. There are a finite amount of combinations that GM supplies with their cars. There are some out there with similar patterns. When I lost mine for my '90, I went to the dealership and they have a key set that looks like a big socket set. They kept trying them until they found the right one.
                  '77 K5 rock-crawler project
                  '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
                  '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
                  '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
                  '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
                  My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
                  Thomas Jefferson

Comment

If something as minor as a lost wheel lock key irritates you this much, you should really consider switching to a Toyota. You haven't seen anything yet.

I think GM/Chevy was being very responsible by supplying the alloy wheels with the locks for added protection. If you didn't like them, you could have replaced them with non-locking lugs.

Any dealer has a set of "master" keys that can remove the lugs.
                    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                      If something as minor as a lost wheel lock key irritates you this much, you should really consider switching to a Toyota. You haven't seen anything yet.

I think GM/Chevy was being very responsible by supplying the alloy wheels with the locks for added protection. If you didn't like them, you could have replaced them with non-locking lugs.

Any dealer has a set of "master" keys that can remove the lugs.
                      LOL, I own a Conquest my friend.... Name something on a car... It has gone wrong on that one. Thanks for the info though, I'll try the dealership tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                      X