Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First trip to the track since all my work.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First trip to the track since all my work.....

This may be a long story, so bear with me and read...... its funny.....somewhat.

I just got back from the track. They run street car bracket racing on Wednesdays, which I dont really have any interest in, but they run time trials prior to the races. So, I figure i'll go and then leave before the bracket racing.

I stopped at the speed shop on the way to the track to fill my bottle, and even though I called in advance to confirm, they were out of nitrous when I arrived The guy sais they could probably squeeze a pound or two out, so I said go ahead and give me what you got. I figured I could get at least get one or two runs in.

That wasnt a good idea. I got to the track, with my new slicks, my new rear end and suspension and my brand new engine ready for deep 11's and I ripped off a......13.1 @108 with the nitrous bogging and surging the whole time. I was pi$$ed. Later, I hit the purge and got nothing but air coming out.

By now, the bracket racing was starting. I only got one lousy run in, so I fugured I would pretend to compete the first round just to get one more good N/A run in. My buddy wanted to ride shot gun. I wasnt too thrilled about the automatic .2 reduction, but I figured why not, Ive got no juice anyhow. So, in order to allow him to run without having a helmet, I wrote my dial in as 14.0

Now I still launched it pretty mildy as I didnt know how much the tires would bite, so I launched at 3500 and dumped the clutch. Those freakin ET streets hooked like crazy! My buddy said his neck was sore I ripped off a 12.70 @ 110 mph. (We'll call it a 12.50 since I had a pasanger ) I was pretty happy with that. I figure the 100 HP shot will knock a full second off, especially since the PCM is programmed for the nitrous. So, hopefully next time ill be in the 11.50 - 11.60 range.

The best part was when I drove around to pick up the race slip. The guy handing the slips out looks at me, then my car, then the dial-in, then the slip. He says, "Dude, you do NOT know how to dial your car in".
    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

I was going to go there last week, i posted it while i was up in rochester, but then i found out i needed a helmet so i didn't go. That and there was a guy there that has a thing for my girl, she would have been with me and that might not have been so pretty. Nice times though.
    2006 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, Blue Leather Interior
    Traded in: 1998 Z28
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/hotwhip9

Comment

Yea, I wasnt around. I was away on vacation for a week. Hopefully, Ill catch you out there sometime soon.
      96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle

Comment

Nice run man. Can't wait to get the GN out there and start puttin' up those numbers. I'm kinda unclear on this, but could you keep another bottle filled on the shelf for just such an emergency? Or does it have to be used within a certain amount of time. Just a thought. Anyways, congrats man. Take care
        Steve
        79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
        87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
        93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
        http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Nice tiems man, cant wait til my ride is doing 9's tho. It will be a while but it will happen.
          1996 Trans Am:T-tops,graphite leather,16" chrome T/A rims, Nitto's, Descreened MAF, Morosso CAI, hypertech, flowtech cut out, 1LE elbow, Silver BMR tubular SFC's, 160 thermo, limo tint, harwood ws6 hood, !side molding, Stage 2 trans.

Looking for a driver side window.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve93Z
            Nice run man. but could you keep another bottle filled on the shelf for just such an emergency? Or does it have to be used within a certain amount of time.
            Yes, I should.........its just another 150 bucks Ive gotta spend. It would be nice though because i could just rotate the bottles and fill the other at my liesure. That would eliminate times when I am without the nitrous (like now).

Comment

just for information, what shops up there fill the bottles?
              2006 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, Blue Leather Interior
              Traded in: 1998 Z28
              http://www.cardomain.com/id/hotwhip9

Comment

To respond to the question several posts above.... there is no "shelf life" on N2O. It will not break down into elemental oxygen and nitrogen unless exposed to high (600degF+) temperatures.

And there is no "air" in the tank.... or at least there shouldn't be. So what you see coming out of the purge shouldn't be "nothing but air". Might just be that the humidity was so low there was not enough vapor in the air to condense and make the plume visible.
                Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Ahhhh, so the bottle I swiped from the dentist's office should still be good enough to use on the car lol j/k Thanks for the info Fred, much appreciated
                  Steve
                  79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                  87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                  93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                  http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Sean, don't you have all forged internals? I was just wondering why you don't increase the jets a little! Make that sucker fly.

Seriously though, I have seen lots of cases where people have gotten air into their bottles. This was mainly due to the nitrous fill places they (and I) were taking their bottles to were using a pump to fill the bottles. This can be done but you are going to always get small amount of air into the bottle.

The ONLY surefire way to get as close to 100% liquid N20 in your bottle is to completely freeze the bottle you will be filling, and then simply use the pressure from a larger N20 bottle to siphon the nitrous to your bottle.

I will never have one of my bottles "pumped" with N20 ever again.

My .02

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                      And there is no "air" in the tank.... or at least there shouldn't be.
                      Well, whatever was in my tank was not nitrous, because the car ran horrible when I hit the button. Im pretty sure there was a significant amount of air pumped in there. I could hold my hand in front of the purge and it wasnt even cold......

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
                        Sean, don't you have all forged internals? I was just wondering why you don't increase the jets a little! Make that sucker fly.
                        No....unfortunately the internals are what is holding me back from spraying the heck out of it. Its an aftermarket rotating assembly, but its not forged. Money is the factor that kept me from upgrading the rods and crank. Ive got a nice set of coated hypereutectic pistons to withstand some juice, but im afraid of busting a rod. I think the most ill run with this lower end is a 125 shot.

Seriously though, I have seen lots of cases where people have gotten air into their bottles. This was mainly due to the nitrous fill places they (and I) were taking their bottles to were using a pump to fill the bottles. This can be done but you are going to always get small amount of air into the bottle.
                        It was definately a pump. When I lived in SYracuse, my bottles were always syphon-filled. In Rochester, I havent been able to find anything but pumps. If its a pumping station, can I still syphon it if I bring in a frozen bottle??

Comment

Originally posted by hotwhip9
                          just for information, what shops up there fill the bottles?
                          I usually go to "The Install Shop" in Henrietta on Jefferson Ave. This last time I went to "Autocrafters" and it is also on Jefferson Ave. I have heard the "Mahany Welding" does N2O as well.

Comment

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
                            It was definately a pump. When I lived in SYracuse, my bottles were always syphon-filled. In Rochester, I havent been able to find anything but pumps. If its a pumping station, can I still syphon it if I bring in a frozen bottle??

Yes, just make sure there "fill" bottle (usually 50lb) is at least 900psi. They can also use a bottle heater to get the fill bottle's pressure even higher. The freeze and fill method is the only method I would ever use. The pumps get air into your bottles and will cause the erratic missing out problems like you described. I'm kinda surprised Fred didn't comment on this.

Freeze and fill is the only way!

Comment

Yes, just make sure there "fill" bottle (usually 50lb) is at least 900psi. They can also use a bottle heater to get the fill bottle's pressure even higher. The freeze and fill method is the only method I would ever use. The pumps get air into your bottles and will cause the erratic missing out problems like you described. I'm kinda surprised Fred didn't comment on this.

Freeze and fill is the only way!
                              I've given up on commenting on most of your posts, since your main intent seems to be to argue.

Its very easy to keep air out of a ring-seal vacuum pump if the pump is properly maintained, and proper transfer procedures are followed. I fill my own bottles, at Second Street Speed, using the same equipment they use to fill the bottles for their Pro 5.0 car. Its also very easy to get any air that does enter out of the bottle, but I'm sure that with your in-depth knowledge you are aware that fact. I've got 40 years of engineering experience in the design, fabrication and operation of liquid and gas handling systems, but I'm sure you'll find something negative in that .

You've won Kevin... I just back off in respect to your superior knowledge.
                              Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
                              X