This has me stumped...w/n

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This has me stumped...w/n

There's a 98+ Camaro SS in the parking lot where I work. On the back wheels he has the false drilled rotors that you see on some ricers. They're painted red to match his calipers. Wondering why someone would put this on?

My first thought was maybe he was using them as spacers, but the wheels are standard SS. Or maybe they were on there to help keep brake dust off the wheels? But they aren't on the front. I think it's questionable style wise...don't see why anyone would do that...
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

substitute as dinner plates at picnic's.................

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Any chance the "SS" is really a V6, and he's covering up the rear drum brakes?
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
        Oooo..... Fred's crafty. Didn't think of that one. You're most likely right. It's an SS clone.

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
          That was my next thought...But it has rear discs.

Remember, in 98 the V6's got the same braking system as the V8's.

So, it has the hood, spoiler, wheels, badging. Boy that would be a lot of trouble to go through to make a V6 look like an SS. I'll have to look in the windows next. Check for interior badging and transmission. Hope I don't get caught snooping!!

Oooh, this would be real crafty...Maybe it's a pre 98 V6 dressed up like an 98+ SS. :lol: I'm more inclined to think it's a real SS.
          Joe K.
          '11 BMW 328i
          '10 Matrix S AWD
          Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

you have go to understand...lots of people that own a f-body don't even know what they have. Heck I'm sure the driver saw it on a ricer thought it was cool and decided to put it on the car. A V6 as an SS...too much work to pull it off. Pre 98...you'd have to change the whole front end...so I'm sure it's a real SS...just a bad owner that don't know what the crap they are driving. What color is it? I'm willing to bet the owner did it to "compliment the color scheme"...LoL

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
            Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
            B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
            Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
            Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Yeah, I was joking with the whole pre-98 thing....

It does compliment the color. The car is red and the "Discs" are red. For now I'll just have to go with Ken's explanation. Never know when you'll have an extra guest show up to dinner!!
              Joe K.
              '11 BMW 328i
              '10 Matrix S AWD

Comment

Working...
              X