Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advantage to removing cats from 4th Gen?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advantage to removing cats from 4th Gen?

What advantages would I get if I removed the cats from my 97TA, and bought cheater plugs for the O2 sensors?

I know its definatly going to get much louder, which is cool.

What about horsepower? Will I gain anything?

Emissions here in Milwaukee no longer tests the output of the car, as long as you aren't throwing any codes the computer check passes your car. So I figured what a great time to remove the cat converters!

I have the stock Y-pipe and I have Edelbrock headers, and Edelbrock cat back. How would I go about removing the cats? Get a new Ypipe?

Thanks!

...Tim

You will most likely set an EGR flow code because the EGR system requided a certain amount of backpressure to work properly. The solution would be to get a custom ECM program to delete the EGR. It's also going to be pretty loud as the cats are a very effecient muffler.

Comment

Well

What about horsepower? If the O2 sensors are fooled, how can they properly provide feedback to get a perfect air/fuel ratio going into the engine? If they are fooled, then isn't the car going to be stuck at one air/fuel ratio, causing rich and lean runs, depending on conditions?

Comment

Originally posted by Timbers
        What about horsepower? If the O2 sensors are fooled, how can they properly provide feedback to get a perfect air/fuel ratio going into the engine? If they are fooled, then isn't the car going to be stuck at one air/fuel ratio, causing rich and lean runs, depending on conditions?

I believe mixture is decided with the front sensors. The rear sensors are strictly to monitor the efficiency of the cat. I could be wrong...
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
          I believe mixture is decided with the front sensors. The rear sensors are strictly to monitor the efficiency of the cat. I could be wrong...
          You are correct.

Comment

Gutting cats definetly helps. Have you ever seen the inside of one? Especially with headers you will notice a difference. Also get an off road pipe to replace your cats unless you just want to gut them and put a pipe through them.
            1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Another alternative would be to replace the Y-Pipe with one from Random Technology. Their high-flow cats have been shown to out-flow most high performance mufflers. These are a good performance upgrade, and you'll be keeping the air cleaner The only problem though, is that they're not cost-efficient.
              1996 Arctic White Z28, A4, K&N CAI, TByrne MAF ends, BBK Twin-52mm TB, TB Bypass, SLP 1 3/4" Shorties, Richmond 3.42's, Dynomax Bullet Muffler W/Turn Down, BMR Adj. Panhard, EIBACH Pro-Kit, AFS ZR1 Wheels W/17x11" out back!

Comment

i have the flowmaster cat back system and it rusted out at the cat so i cut my cat off and welded a straight pipe in now it sounds and runs like crap i wouldn't do it to my car

Comment

Working...
                X