Optispark bad?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optispark bad?

I have a 1994 Formula Firebird. The other day i was driving normal and slowing down for a stop light when all of the sudden my car backfires REALLY LOUD. Then my car loses power, rpms drop really low and then dies. I try to start it and it wont start. Turns over and everything, but just wont start. Before this in like second gear it would back fire sometimes and lose power for a little bit and kinda have trouble starting. Well in the dark when i look at the ignition module, i see blue sparks coming off of the water pump.

Also when i took a plug wire off and put a plug in it and ground it, i dont get spark. I take the wire that runs from the ignition module off of the coil and i get spark. Im thinking its the optispark even though it had been replace once in june then again in august cause it was fault i guess. Any suggestions of how i can check if the optispark is fualt. thanks a million!!!

yeah, it sounds to me like an OPTI. are you using CRAPA remanufactured ones? the best way to go, regardless of price is a new gm one. there are some on ebay, and still can get them at the dealer.
    2000 WS6 T/A M6. Monster stage 3 clutch, flowmaster cat back, 4.10's, SLP lid, Hurst shifter.
    1996 Mustang GT 5 speed STOCK DD
    past rides:
    1996 Mustang GTS bright tangerine orange
    2003 Mach 1 azure blue drag car (10.90@118 record holder for fastest N/A mach)
    1969 Mach 1 house of colors candy apple red393 stroker 100 shot (10.829@125 in street trim)
    2003 Mach 1 Torched red FRPP aluminator/vortech 666RWHP
    2008 Mustang GT JDM stroker long block, Saleen 2.3 twin screw
    1980 Mustang L 13.7: 418 stroker
    1994 Z28 A4 rebuilt from wreck
    1994 Z28 A4 totaled

Comment

Joe1320 did a great job of putting this together to help troubleshoot opti issues.

http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthre...0845#post40845

That said, if you are seeing blue that means that you have a voltage leak somewhere. It may be premature to declare the opti dead, when there are so many other possibilities. It could be a bad ignition/coil wire shorting to the water pump for instance. I would do a little investigation and inspection to help narrow done the list of culprits.

-Paul

WickedLT1's Home on the Web - Wicked Pictures
      95 - Trans Am - LT1 - 6Speed
      Car Status: Hmm, winter projects coming up...

Comment

Working...
      X