LT5 Trans Am

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LT5 Trans Am

I want to do something that has never been done before. I like the LT4 idea but i think it is played out. With so many people already haveing it. Didnt the LT5 come on the ZR1 vettes. So would it be possible to make a LT1 into a LT5? Or is it a totally different black and it wouldnt be worth it.thanks
    tom

and was there a lt2, lt3, lt6....
    1996 Trans Am:T-tops,graphite leather,16" chrome T/A rims, Nitto's, Descreened MAF, Morosso CAI, hypertech, flowtech cut out, 1LE elbow, Silver BMR tubular SFC's, 160 thermo, limo tint, harwood ws6 hood, !side molding, Stage 2 trans.

Looking for a driver side window.

The LT5 is a totally different engine, 32 valve dual cam.... it's not a simple add-on of parts like the LT1/4 conversion. You'd really just have to buy an LT5 engine.
    Dave M
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

The LT5 wouldn't fit on an F-Body because of the bolt pattern. I think Fred or Joe knows more. They should be able to tackle this.
      Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

You could probably make your car runs 10's with what it would cost for an LT5. I heard they were alot of dough.

97 ws6 6sp 40k miles 355 cubes strange s 60 rear 373 gears. other stuff! 360rwhp

current
        2006 GMC Denali 6.0 AWD!!!! hers

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Taso
          The LT5 wouldn't fit on an F-Body because of the bolt pattern. I think Fred or Joe knows more. They should be able to tackle this.
          Is there a question those 2 cant answer
          -Nick-
          95 A4 Z28

Comment

Go for the LT3!

2.0L, SOHC, Turbo = 165bhp

Came in late 80's Sunbirds and Grand Ams.

And like others mentioned the LT5 would be cool, but is very costly and extremely difficult to convert.

No LT2 that I am aware of.

Later
            Sean
            1994 Z28, 6 spd, LE2 Heads, GM 1.6 RR, .026" head gasket, SLP: CAI-Headers (CARB legal)-ypipe-2 on the left-lightweight flywheel-short throw, Random tech cat, CF dual friction, LT-4 KM.

Comment

an LT-5 goes for about $10,000 when you can find them. they were designed by lotus for gm and produced by mercruiser. its rated at 385hp. spark plug wires alone for these things fetch a small fortune
              2000 WS6 T/A M6. Monster stage 3 clutch, flowmaster cat back, 4.10's, SLP lid, Hurst shifter.
              1996 Mustang GT 5 speed STOCK DD
              past rides:
              1996 Mustang GTS bright tangerine orange
              2003 Mach 1 azure blue drag car (10.90@118 record holder for fastest N/A mach)
              1969 Mach 1 house of colors candy apple red393 stroker 100 shot (10.829@125 in street trim)
              2003 Mach 1 Torched red FRPP aluminator/vortech 666RWHP
              2008 Mustang GT JDM stroker long block, Saleen 2.3 twin screw
              1980 Mustang L 13.7: 418 stroker
              1994 Z28 A4 rebuilt from wreck
              1994 Z28 A4 totaled

Comment

Originally the ZR1 had 375 HP. Then in 95 or 94 it went up to 405

LT4KM, 160' TS, MAF ends, TB-BP, GMPP 1.6 R/R, SLP CAI, LCA, Adj. tierod, BMR tower brace, 17x9"F/R, 275/40R17 GY F1 tires. WS6 Muffler, LS1 DS. 21mm rear sway bar. Soon to be LT4 heads, intake, & HOT cam

Comment

Originally posted by 95z28
                  Is there a question those 2 cant answer
                  Ouch.....

Comment

I guess i picked the wrong face . . . . you guys ( and ken too for the most part ) can answer just about any question asked . . . . theres a few others but idk first names
                    -Nick-
                    95 A4 Z28

Comment

This board wouldn't be what it is without those 3 knowledge-masters.... they have helped me out so many times when I was ready to give up.
                      97' SS #497 1 of 50 White Hardtop M6,stock TB reworked to 52mm,SLP CC shorties, Random Tech DC Y-pipe, LT4KM, Taylor Spiro's and NGK's, BMR Adj Lcr's, TA, Boxed SFC's, Adj PHR, Floorpan brace w/ driveshaft loop, STB, GM 4:10'S, 1LE alum DS, Eibach 35mm front swaybar and Pro-Kit Springs, Bilstein HD's, Lou's speed stick with Hurst ball,LS1 front brakes, Earl's lines, Hawk Pads, BMR relocation brackets.

Comment

I don't "know" the answer to this one... I have "heard" that the heads are spaced too wide to fit between the shock towers, but I don't know if that is true. Remember, the LT5/ZR1 is 15-year old technology. It has been eclipsed by the Z06..... same HP, a much less expensive, much less "high-strung", much less complicated engine. Now the LS2 matches the Z06, and is even more docile and gets better gas mileage.

Because of its very limited usage, the LT5 engine has virtually nothing in the way of replacement parts available for repairs. You aren't going to go to Auto Zone and find anything on the parts shelf. You will have to find NOS or junkyard parts, at extremely high cost. And if I recall correctly, the LT5 has some serious problems with oil consumption, and relatively "low" mileage levels.

Thanks for the positive feedback.
                        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Gm did a Thirdgen with an LT5 once. It appears to physically fit but you could go way faster for less work and money. Course there is the cool factor
                          Attached Files

Comment

Yep, even buying a Vette with that engine is risky if it has 25k or so on it because if it needs any work, it's expensive! Lingenfelter was building them up, also, but he never did anything that wasn't expensive.

Comment

Also, you can't just bring in you LT5 to any dealership/repair shop. They have to be ZR-1 certified.
                              Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

Working...
                              X