Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How big of a box can you get in the back of a vert?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How big of a box can you get in the back of a vert?

My rear seat cushions and the rear back rest are removed in my 1995 Z28 vert. I was wondering if I could get a 4.5 cubic feet box back there to hold 4 12's?

Thanks,

Chris
    1995 Camaro Z28 Convertible.

you can..but itl have to be fiberglass

and itl take a ton of time to make it look nice
    but deffinantly doable =)

may i ask what subs/amps u are gunna use...im somewhat of an audiophile myself

Comment

I agree that it would have to be fiber anything else would be to heavy. i would like to know the subs and amp also cause $ 12s is a ton.

Comment

well a good box will probably weigh in at like 250lbs...if it is made really really stong

id start with an mdf "floor" for the box just because it makes it easier on my to figure the air space..but u may not be able to do that since u might end up needing every inch or air space u can get

and remember to make it stong..since it will take a beating with the 4 12s

Comment

i have 4 12" rockford punch hx2's in the hatch of my t/a and beleive me there is a tonne of weight there i have to use 1" mdf to be able to get proper sound and no flexing of the box for a vert i have no idea if you could fit them in there and make it look decent though not too familiar with the vert setups but lets just say anything can be done for the right amount of money right ?

Comment

if you were to make it outta fibreglass yuo would have to put some many layers of it on there so it wouldn;t flex yuo would be further off using mdf anyways and beisdes it is much cheaper and can make it look unbelivalbe too

Comment

aslong as u design the supports for the sub "rings" correctly u will not need a ton of f-glass layers to make it sturdy enough

and there is no way to make an all MDF box blend into the car like u can with f-glass....there are tricks u could use then just cover it with a forgivable material but to make a nice box out of MDF to fit in the back of a vert camaro it would take me aboue 5x the time

once u get used to working with f-glass ull never want to go back it has so many more redeming qualitys then MDF although for a straigh square rectangle box u can not beat mdf

i have done quite alot of sub installs and glassing is the way to go on this one if ur not comfortable using glass then u should try to do something cool with 2 12s since that would be alot easier to make perfect

Comment

you would deifnatly have to multilayer the fiberglass a tonne to make it stiff enough to handle 4 subs i have seen a bunch of them crack over time due to constant stress, you are right though there is no comparison between the 2 but i will guarantee you that you can make one hell of a nice set up usin mdf i will post pics if necessary
                jsut my .02

Comment

u dont even need to use a ton of layers..it depends on how far between supports the glass needs to stretch

a friend of mine has 4 mtx 9500 15s running 2,200(roughly) RMS to each sub i made the top out of glass so it would flow into the back of the expedition nicely and it still has no blemishis

its not that thick either..cant remember off the top of my head because it has been so long but i can ask him im sure he will remember

overkill is always good but try not to over do it to much lol and plan..make sure u plan this for a month or so before u finally start to cut things up nothing like getting everything all stripped down then u figure out u want different subs or something

unless u are going competition id just use 2 9500 12s or w7 13.5?? subs that will be plently loud enough to ruin ur hearing and will also still be loud enough to show it off outside of the car

just make sure it is REALLY something that u want to do i had a wall in my car 4 kicker CVR 15s in a 14 CF ported box it hit some insane numbers but after about 4 months of daily driving it got to be a bit much keeping up with all the lossened nuts and bolts on the car. not to mention the fact that sometimes i would have trouble keeping my ballance after i got out of the car

but whatever u decide to do good luck and bump on

Comment

sorry mike i miss understood ya i thought you were sayin to make the entire box out of fiberglass that is why i was givin ya a hard time, but with what you are sayin is true and it does look clean as hell too
                    scott

Comment

no worries bro...im used to people missunderstand (probably because i cant phrase anything right on the computer lol)

also when a 19 yo explains things to some people it goes unheard lol not sayin thats what happened im just used to it

i remember my friend(wassent at the time) giving me this rediculous look when i told him to hand over his keys to his truck so i could install the stereo

Comment

yeah i get that too man i am 22 and you are tryin to explain somethign to someone and they look at you like you are retarded !
                        i will try and post pics of my install just to show ya that mdf can look sweet haha
                        scott

Comment

mdf looks sweet..esp when its a 6.8CF sealed enclosure in the back of the hooptie

Comment

Working...
                          X