Brake nightmare and ?s

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake nightmare and ?s

Ok so I was replacing my front brakes last night...

Unbolted the calipers took them off, left the brake lines connected, c-clamped the pistons back in, put some new rotors on put the new pads on, greased up the back of them, bolted everything back up. No big deal, right?!
    That's what I thought. Front driver side pad some how comes off, the one on the inside of the vehicle. That's the first of my problems, so I pick up the pad, park the car undo that side, compress pistons again, and tighten everything back up. Everything is good, so I think. Drive it again around the parking lot and the brakes are stickin when in drive, no foot on the brake. Really HOT rotors and calipers.

So my roomate thinks the system might be too pressurized, so he loosens the bolt on the caliper to release some of the fluid while I compress the pistons on the caliper. As I'm pushing the pistons in, he tightens the bolt back up.
    so we do this to both sides.

Pedal now is really soft.. I'm thinking air in the lines? But they still hold while in drive and its even worse in reverse. You can hear the whining of the friction. So now it sits there hopelessly.

Could the pads and rotors be too thick? The pads are bendix and the rotors are from summit. - if this is the case, it would explain the friction but not the soft pedal.

Help!
    2006 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, Blue Leather Interior
    Traded in: 1998 Z28
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/hotwhip9

Originally posted by hotwhip9
    Ok so I was replacing my front brakes last night...

Unbolted the calipers took them off, left the brake lines connected, c-clamped the pistons back in, put some new rotors on put the new pads on, greased up the back of them, bolted everything back up. No big deal, right?!
    That's what I thought. Front driver side pad some how comes off, the one on the inside of the vehicle. That's the first of my problems, so I pick up the pad, park the car undo that side, compress pistons again, and tighten everything back up. Everything is good, so I think. Drive it again around the parking lot and the brakes are stickin when in drive, no foot on the brake. Really HOT rotors and calipers.

So my roomate thinks the system might be too pressurized, so he loosens the bolt on the caliper to release some of the fluid while I compress the pistons on the caliper. As I'm pushing the pistons in, he tightens the bolt back up.
    so we do this to both sides.

Pedal now is really soft.. I'm thinking air in the lines? But they still hold while in drive and its even worse in reverse. You can hear the whining of the friction. So now it sits there hopelessly.

Could the pads and rotors be too thick? The pads are bendix and the rotors are from summit. - if this is the case, it would explain the friction but not the soft pedal.

Help!
    There is no such thing as too much pressure in a brake system. By opening the bleader, all you did was put air in the system. You will need to bleed the brakes.

How can a brake pad simply fall out after the caliper is bolted back in place? It sounds like something is seriously put together wrong.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

I figured i'd need to bleed the brakes now, what a pita. The pad falling out, remains a mystery too me. Maybe i had too much alchohol when i was doing it?! hmmmmm I would have noticed putting the caliper backon if the pad wasnt there! At least i think.

Comment

Is it ok to drive now though? Would the system needing to be bleed make it so theres too much friction though?

Comment

working on your BRAKE system while drinking? *shaking head* MAN I AM GETTING OLD

I would have to say something got put together wrong too

AL

1995 Z28 M6 Ragtop
          Mods are:
          18X9 1/2 ZO6 rims
          Hot Wheels steering wheel cover
          Hurst Classic Shifter Ball with 6-speed pattern
          K&N CAI , I LIKE IT!! it REALLY does make a difference!

more pictures of the hooptie

Comment

Whats the easiest way to bleed the brakes, undo the bleeder screw, have someone pump the pedal letting the fluid out, tighten screw and continue to pump to build the pressure back up?

Comment

You might want to take the calipers apart and look at the pins that the calipers slide on to adjust. They might be bound up. They should be cleaned and lubed so that the calipers can move around to center themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by hotwhip9
                Whats the easiest way to bleed the brakes, undo the bleeder screw, have someone pump the pedal letting the fluid out, tighten screw and continue to pump to build the pressure back up?
                WHen you bleed - You pump first, hold the pedal down, and THEN release the bleeder. Next, close the bleeder, let the pedal up and then repeat until you see a nice clear stream of fluid with no bubbles.

As far as the pads sticking, I would be inclined to agree with Kevin. ALways free the sliders and put fresh grease on them when doing front brakes.

If thats not it, the next question I have is - did you open the bleeder when you pushed the piston back in with the c-clamp? SInce the vehicle has ABS, this should always be done. 9 out of 10 times you'll get away with it, but I have seen valves in the ABS module hang by forcing pressure through the opposite way.
                96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

well i drove it to the firerobbers. I mean firestone. The drive there, the brakes were sticking, pedal was still soft and the smell of the pads gave me a headache. It's less than a 2 mile drive to the firestone here on base. Hopefully its nothing big, I told them to flush the brake fluid and inspect the front brakes. I can only think that the pads and rotors are too thick. Why else would they be sticking? Anyways, who knows! It's in the shop, along with my s10 extreme. The truck is getting the coolant flush, it was dirty. I'll let everyone know what they said about the brakes.

Comment

They said the slider pins seized up. All of them. hmm. I looked at it while they had it up on the lift and that is what happened. They have to replace those and the caliper mounting bracket. What would cause those to seize up all of a sudden?

Comment

120 oz of budweiser?

1995 Z28 M6 Ragtop
                      Mods are:
                      18X9 1/2 ZO6 rims
                      Hot Wheels steering wheel cover
                      Hurst Classic Shifter Ball with 6-speed pattern
                      K&N CAI , I LIKE IT!! it REALLY does make a difference!

more pictures of the hooptie

Comment

quick tip on bleeding...

I use a powerade bottle. Drill a hole in the top of the cap, run a piece of hose in it, fill the bottle with brake fluid, then put the hose on the bleeder, and the other end in the bottle.

This helps prevent mess and makes bubbles easier to spot. If there's bubbles the fluid will bubble in the bottle. If not, you'll just see dirty liquid and no bubbles.

Good luck.
                        97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Working...
                        X