Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom guage idea

Idea!

I was looking at my white guages and figured out what it was about them that i didnt like.

The message centers, ABS inop and ASR light are white even though they are outside the actual dials. Only the dials should be white.

I got the old black overlay, a pair of scisors and started cutting. I carefully snipped out the message centers, and both dummy lights. I'm going to put them in my cluster after cutting my white overlay up. When I'm finished, just the dials will be white.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

lets see some pics...sounds nice

2005 GTO, Quicksilver, 6-Speed, DynaTech LT's and thats it. 366.6 hp/366.7 tq last time I checked.
    Sold-1995 Dark GreenTrans Am, Auto 63K. BBK Headers/off-road y-pipe/Hooker Exhaust/LPI CAI/Hypertech...need some money!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Blevyou know
      lets see some pics...sounds nice
      Here you go. It turned out perfect. It looks like it was made that way. Gosh, I'm good with a razor blade.

First, I used a ball point pen to mark the edges where the dials meet the bezel edges on the black cluster . I then completey removed the black overlay from my donor cluster. I then used a scisors to cut all the way around the "non-visible area" Once I had the actual visible area seperated, I used the pen marks as a reference to make sure I didnt cut into the actual dials. You can see my pen marks on the first picture.

I took the cut up parts and stuck them back in place for the first picture so you could see the parts I removed.

Next I took the pieces I cut out of the black overlay and placed them one at a time on the white cluster using a razor blade to lightly mark their outline on the white overlay. After the outline was marked, I removed the black piece and used the razor blade to cut all the way through on my mark. Once the white overlay was removed from that area, the black overlay fit perfectly in its place.

Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Awesome job!

99 Silver Z28 A4, T tops, ZR-1 wheels (SOLD)

Comment

So thats what the inside of a camaro looks like huh.

I was thinking about getting gauge overlays but they cost so much, they cost about as much as a strut tower brace....... Maybe when I have more disposable income....

They look sweet though

Comment

Originally posted by Street Machine
            I was thinking about getting gauge overlays but they cost so much, they cost about as much as a strut tower brace
            $50 for the set I got.

NR automobile accessories
            Tracy
            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
            Current Mods:

Comment

Good work, that looks really good.
              2006 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, Blue Leather Interior
              Traded in: 1998 Z28
              http://www.cardomain.com/id/hotwhip9

Comment

Yea I've been trying to figure out what I it was that ?I thoguht didn't make them look right in my car either... Good idea...i'll have to give it some though...Its just htat taking that cluster out was a pain in the butt and I swore up and down I was done doing interior work on that car ever again....the 97+'s are so much easier to work with. Anyways it looks great

did you go from a 115 to a 150 guages set? if so how did you do that....
                -Rico

Click here to visit my CarDomain page!

01 Camaro Convertable, A4, White, Audiobahn 12" subs and amp 800W/RMS,Xenon
                98 TA/WS6, M6, All options,stock with minor mods, stealth JL Audio-Sold
                98 Camaro, V6, A4, Silver, Xenon Body kit, white guages, MTX system, custom interior SOLD
                94 Camaro, 3.4L, M5, Quasar Blue, SOLD

Comment

That really does look much nicer than the all white cluster.
                  1986 Trans Am 5.0 TPI, stock for the very moment.

1979 10 ann. Trans Am, 400 4 bbl bored .030 flat top speed pro pistons, edelbrock performer heads and intake. mild cam. Lookin to make her fuel injected!

HOOAH!

Comment

Nice work Tracy! That does look a lot better.

Comment

Originally posted by Camaro4-2
                      Yea I've been trying to figure out what I it was that ?I thoguht didn't make them look right in my car either... Good idea...i'll have to give it some though...Its just htat taking that cluster out was a pain in the butt and I swore up and down I was done doing interior work on that car ever again....the 97+'s are so much easier to work with. Anyways it looks great

did you go from a 115 to a 150 guages set? if so how did you do that....
                      Yes, I changed to a 150 mph cluster. It is plug and play.
                      Tracy
                      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                      Current Mods:

Comment

My hat always goes off to the gearhead chicks out there!

1979 10 ann. Trans Am, 400 4 bbl bored .030 flat top speed pro pistons, edelbrock performer heads and intake. mild cam. Lookin to make her fuel injected!

HOOAH!

Comment

Originally posted by Negotiator
                          My hat always goes off to the gearhead chicks out there!
                          oops.

I'm to hairy to be a chick! I just had cruel parents that really like the name Tracy.
                          Tracy
                          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                          Current Mods:

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
                            oops.

I'm to hairy to be a chick! I just had cruel parents that really like the name Tracy.
                            My God, that's so embarrassing on my part, I'm sorry. Still, my hat goes off to the well done mod.

HOOAH!

Comment

Originally posted by Negotiator
                              My God, that's so embarrassing on my part, I'm sorry. Still, my hat goes off to the well done mod.
                              No worries! Geez, the other thread I just posted called "hooray" could have gotten you really confused!
                              Tracy
                              2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                              1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                              Current Mods:

Comment

Working...
                              X