Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• output shaft play

Hi guys,
    I've just had my car MOT'd here in England ( Government yearly inspection )
    which it failed on a couple of things.
    However what was advised to me was that there was a bit of play in the output shaft of my auto box, this was illustrated to me by the guy holding the prop and wiggling it up and down.
    Although the play is small it may well get worse, so does anyone know if this is normal or there a bearing or something in the rear tailcone?

1993 Trans Am - bone stock ( except the chameleon paint )
    2001 Firehawk 10th Anniversary, m6
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2139497

Originally posted by paul
    Hi guys,
    I've just had my car MOT'd here in England ( Government yearly inspection )
    which it failed on a couple of things.
    However what was advised to me was that there was a bit of play in the output shaft of my auto box, this was illustrated to me by the guy holding the prop and wiggling it up and down.
    Although the play is small it may well get worse, so does anyone know if this is normal or there a bearing or something in the rear tailcone?

1993 Trans Am - bone stock ( except the chameleon paint )
    "Wiggling it up and down"

Could you explain more clearly?
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

I guess that wiggling your tailshaft is against the law there.

99 Silver Z28 A4, T tops, ZR-1 wheels (SOLD)

Comment

'wiggling' is as in he held the prop in his hand and can move it up and down a small amount and you can see the pinion shaft stirring around the output seal, this is also causing a minor dribble of oil to escape.

Comment

my '91 T/A had that problem. Turns out the bearing in my rearend was worn out. Its a pain to replace...but it is a problem that gets worse. If you ignore it, youmay hear a loud "BANG" occassionally when you put some horses to the rear end. Thats if that is your problem, which ill bet is the case.
          1986 Trans Am 5.0 TPI, stock for the very moment.

1979 10 ann. Trans Am, 400 4 bbl bored .030 flat top speed pro pistons, edelbrock performer heads and intake. mild cam. Lookin to make her fuel injected!

HOOAH!

Comment

Thanks for the reply Negotiator, can you tell me..is the bearing in the tail cone or is it a g/box out job?
            Many thanks

Comment

negotiator is describing a different problem. what he is describing is the PINION bearing in the rear differential(axel). your problem lies in the AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION. yes you can replace the bearing in there, and you can do it with out taking out the transmission. i must say though, if that bearing has play in it, the transmission may not be worn out, but a rebuild may be the best bet. its a shame to tear into it only to need to rebuild it 6 months down the road.
              2000 WS6 T/A M6. Monster stage 3 clutch, flowmaster cat back, 4.10's, SLP lid, Hurst shifter.
              1996 Mustang GT 5 speed STOCK DD
              past rides:
              1996 Mustang GTS bright tangerine orange
              2003 Mach 1 azure blue drag car (10.90@118 record holder for fastest N/A mach)
              1969 Mach 1 house of colors candy apple red393 stroker 100 shot (10.829@125 in street trim)
              2003 Mach 1 Torched red FRPP aluminator/vortech 666RWHP
              2008 Mustang GT JDM stroker long block, Saleen 2.3 twin screw
              1980 Mustang L 13.7: 418 stroker
              1994 Z28 A4 rebuilt from wreck
              1994 Z28 A4 totaled

Comment

firstly sorry for my description as a pinion shaft as it has been pointed out I'm talking crap!
                Secondly thanks azkkn for your reply, I'm glad the g/box can stay in but does anyone know the GM part number for the bearing or who's best to get one from.( over here knowledge is thin on the ground ).

Comment

Working...
                X