Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brake job from hell... What do I do now?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake job from hell... What do I do now?

ok, so I go to do my rear brakes. I lost my wheel key, great. It's all right, I hammered a 7/8 socket on the lug, put a ratchet on it, and hit it once with the dead blow and unlocked it.

Now the p/s brake pad.. Unbolt the caliper, take out the pads, pull the bracket off. Piston wouldn't compress easily with a c clamp, but I got it after about an hour.... It's on tight, but I got it copressed enough to fit the pad.

NEXT.

Get the wheel off, go to take the caliper off, the bracket will not come off, it is seized on. Funny though, this side has LIKE NEW BRAKES! More than half a pad left... I'd say 75%. That's funny THE OTHER SIDE WAS TOTALLY GONE! I'm guessing the kid did this one side, and he did NOT GREASE THE CALIPER LIKE HE WAS SUPPOSED TO. Damn previous owners...

So I had to re-use the old brakes... I Know that is so stupid, but what can I do? I couldn't get the bracket off to compress the piston, it is seized on BADLY. I hit it with the dead blow, I pulled, I tugged, I pryed, I tried everything... So what now? Caliper replacement time? I didn't want to pull it off as it got so dark and I need this car for tomorrow...

I know the previous owner did one side, didn't grease it, then left the other side alone... That HAS to be the case... How else could this have happened?

HELP. What do I do about this? Any tricks to getting off a bracket that won't come off? The other side slid right off like butta.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

oh yeah, this all took me about 3 hours...

I remember reading before on here... "The rear brakes are silly easy, takes about 20 minutes to do both."

Ridiculous. It took me longer to get the wheels off the fronts than it did to replace the front pads.

Maybe if it went more smoothly they would have been easier.

Man I'm fired up
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

I feel your pain. I took mine in. my thread is brake nightmare and ?s.
      2006 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, Blue Leather Interior
      Traded in: 1998 Z28
      http://www.cardomain.com/id/hotwhip9

Comment

It sounds like that caliper might be stuck, not that he only did one side, but that it is not working at all, so no wear on the pads. It just might be caliper replacement time.

Just something to consider.
        NBM '02 Z, SLP Lid, Corsa Cat-Back
        (SOLD 07/03/2004)

Comment

Working...
        X