Head Removal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head Removal

I just got done today removing the drivers side head from my car so that I can take care of a broken header bolt. I was also told that now I'm going to have to remove the passengerside and replace the headgasket so that there's equal compression or it'll just end up blowing the passengers side headgasket out. Someone please tell me this isn't true!
    1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

I'm going to call B.S. on that. I would do both of them while I'm in there but if there was going to be enough compression loss to matter, its blown anyway.

Comment

Thats what I was thinking. Why would it matter anyways its two totally seperate heads and different pistons. The only thing they really share is the cam and where the rods hook into the crank. Also there were no other problems with the heads or head gaskets look very clean inside. I just wanted to make sure. The only reason I'm not doing them both if I don't have too is I need a car for school and this is turning into a very expensive project and I'm in school and if I can save $100 then I'll do it that way as long as I know I'm not going to regret it.
      1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

It is generally a good idea to replace both headgaskets at the same time. That doesn't mean it is absolutely necessary.

Comment

As Joe said it's common practive to do both heads. I had the intake leak fixed at the dealer when they discovered that the one head gasket was leaking too.

They went ahead and changed both head gaskets which I din't have a problem with. Change both gaskets while you have the intake off.

Lame excuse though.
          97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Originally posted by 94 formula
            so that there's equal compression or it'll just end up blowing the passengers side headgasket out. Someone please tell me this isn't true!
            B.S.! But, its not a bad idea to do it. It will probably take another hour or two and its basically just the cost of another head gasket. If the head is not leaking as is, I would just clean it good and lay another gasket down, using the proper torque specs.
            96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
            11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Working...
            X