LT1 major tune up...?'s

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LT1 major tune up...?'s

need advice on the best spark plugs and wires out on the market for my 95 LT1. how often do you guys do a fuel injector service? what type of service? also going to service the trans and rear end. going to get this done before winter.... need some overtime.
    thanks,
    eddie
    1995 Z28 A4, SCC Ultra Z Hood with Air box/K&N filter, Granatelli Maf Sensor/Fernco bellow/Hotchkis STB/white face gauges/LT4 Knock module/March pullies/160* stat without Hypertech Tunning/Borla 3" y-pipe/HI Flo 3" cat/SLP Loudmouth/GM Motive 3.73's + TA rear end girdle/Afs ZR1's silver painted with polished lip 17x9.5 front & 17x11 out back/98 tail light's/BMR SFC's/spohn Lca's/spohn relo brackets & spohn adj. panhard rod " coated mid lenght pacesetters headers + 1.6rr + custom pc tuning going on soon hopefully "

i think the bosch +4s are a good plug although might be over kill

also not saying its true here but stock explorer spark plug wires had less resistance then aftermarket ones..so alot of the aftermarket ones were acctually works then the ford ones

just something to think about

Comment

NGK TR55s of any material you want, copper or platinum or iridium if you don't mind shelling out the cash. As far as the wires, I've been told the Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm are a good buy for the wires. I prefer MSD 8.5mm, but they don't fit the looms behind the alternator. For the NGK TR55IX and Taylor Spiro Pro sets I paid about $100 through Summit. As for the fuel system, usually a cleaner about every 15k if I remember correctly is recommended. A bottle of good fuel system cleaner (like NOS cleaner ) is usually all you need unless you're looking at new injectors. In that case, also do the fuel pressure regulator...only a couple bolts and a fairly cheap part. New fuel filter couldn't hurt either...cheap and easy also. You can pick up a decent auto trans. service kit at Kragen or Autozone for $20 - $30 or so if I remember correctly and includes the filer, gasket and what not. As for the rear end, just drain the fluid and replace it...fairly easy and cheap. If you're going to do the trans. and rear end, wouldn't be a bad idea to go with some better fluids, like Royal Purple or Red Line. Maybe even a girdle for the rear . Anyways man, hope this helps. Take care and good luck.

P.S. - take stock in Johnson and Johnson, as band-aids may be your best friend while doing the tune-up
      Steve
      79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
      87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
      93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
      http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

NGK TR-55's would be fine. So would Denso's. I think the MSD 8.5mm Super Conductors are good wires. As a matter of fact I have a brand new set in the box for sale.

http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6562

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong Kev, but wouldn't the Super Conds. have a problem fitting in the looms? I barely got the Taylor Spiro 8s in the looms. If there's something I don't know, please let me know
          Steve

Comment

As for the Bosch +4-they such the biggest waste of money i ever spent i hadthem in fro like 5000 miles and was discusted how bad they performed. I took one out just to see how they burned and they were black covered in suite. They shield the spark. I then got NGK irduim plugs very expensive but love them. I also have MSD 8.5 wires and love them as well. They don't fit in the wire looms but you can order MSD wire looms like $8 and they work great. For the Fuel system cleaner it is a great service. i would do the full system cleaner with fuel filter. I wouldn't recommend the trans filter kit. I would go to a transflush because unless your trans fluid is black or totally burnt i don't think you need to replace your filter that will be reverse flushed in that service. and remember if you change to synthetic you need all the fluid change can't mix.
            I LOVE COBRA'S -
            THEY TASTE LIKE CHICKEN!

95 SS clone- LT1, t-56, pro 5.0, short stick, sidewinder knob, AS&M headers, 3.73 , TA cover, Borla exhaust, MSD , BMR- chromoly suspension, Torq Thrust II

Comment

Originally posted by Steve93Z
              Correct me if I'm wrong Kev, but wouldn't the Super Conds. have a problem fitting in the looms? I barely got the Taylor Spiro 8s in the looms. If there's something I don't know, please let me know
              They definitely were a tight fit in the separators, but they did fit on mine.

Comment

[QUOTE=HottestZ28]As for the Bosch +4-they such the biggest waste of money i ever spent i hadthem in fro like 5000 miles and was discusted how bad they performed. I took one out just to see how they burned and they were black covered in suite. They shield the spark.QUOTE]

Right on, bro. I was in the Champion R&D department last month, and they have examples of every spark plug ever made on the wall there, and they had designs very similar to the +4s which dated to the 1930's. Anyway I asked the engineer I was with about that, and he said, "We think it shields the spark." He said the Iridium fine wire plugs are a good design. While I was there, I picked up a Formula 1 plug which, interestingly enough, was gapless - no ground electrode at all (this is mostly due to no room in the combustion chamber for anything to protrude) but proves the fallacy of multiple electrodes.

Comment

I know you can replace the plastic looms, but what about the loom behind the alternator? I know 8s barely squeeze that.
                  Steve

Comment

Ive heard the same thing about the Bosch plugs too. I was talking to the guy that dynoed my car, he is also the owner of the shop, and he was saying that NGK and the stock AC Delco plugs are the ones he recommends all the time. He also told me that the MSD wires are not the best. He says that with heat that the wires become hard and tend not to conduct well. He also said that about the Moroso wires. I put on MSD wires just before I dynoed and was kinda pissed but I will wait untill next upgrade and more money to change plugs and wires. I didnt know anything about these cars at the time and didnt do enough research.
                    97 SS #C007
                    Polo Green w/ tan leather A4
                    SLP headers, Loudmouth, Koni SA, Spohn LCA, Spohn PHR, Spohn relo brackets, pro-kit, B&M Stage II Shift Kit, air foil, 160 therm, LT4 KM, BFG KDW

Comment

Oh yeah, my wire looms were just dremeled a bit for the bigger wires. Forgot that
                      97 SS #C007
                      Polo Green w/ tan leather A4
                      SLP headers, Loudmouth, Koni SA, Spohn LCA, Spohn PHR, Spohn relo brackets, pro-kit, B&M Stage II Shift Kit, air foil, 160 therm, LT4 KM, BFG KDW

Comment

For the MSD wire looms- if you remove your tensioner and replace that wire loom with the MSD they hold the wires away from the PS pully and go very tightly around the back of the PS pump but being tight is a good thing i would think
                        I LOVE COBRA'S -
                        THEY TASTE LIKE CHICKEN!

95 SS clone- LT1, t-56, pro 5.0, short stick, sidewinder knob, AS&M headers, 3.73 , TA cover, Borla exhaust, MSD , BMR- chromoly suspension, Torq Thrust II

Comment

Why not get a set of over the valve cover wires, then you don't have to worry about getting those wires into the looms and you can buy as big a wire as you heart desires Plus you won't have to worry about your headers melting the wires as much with an OVC setup and its WAY easier to route.

You can get an entire Taylor's Spiro Pro custom set of OVC wires from www.thunderracing.com for around $100.00

Comes with all this:

Just an suggestion.

KnightFire
                          1993 Formula Firebird
                          Check Homepage for mods and photos...

KnightFire's Lair

Amsoil Dealer

Comment

thanks for all the replies....now i just need to order the parts and some free time for the install...i was looking at the Taylor's Spiro Pro custom set of OVC wires has anyone installed them...? future mods will include LT4 conversion = heads + intake + cam + rr + heavy duty timing chain + 52mm tb + shorty headers. wil the OVC wires work...?
                            eddie
                            1995 Z28 A4, SCC Ultra Z Hood with Air box/K&N filter, Granatelli Maf Sensor/Fernco bellow/Hotchkis STB/white face gauges/LT4 Knock module/March pullies/160* stat without Hypertech Tunning/Borla 3" y-pipe/HI Flo 3" cat/SLP Loudmouth/GM Motive 3.73's + TA rear end girdle/Afs ZR1's silver painted with polished lip 17x9.5 front & 17x11 out back/98 tail light's/BMR SFC's/spohn Lca's/spohn relo brackets & spohn adj. panhard rod " coated mid lenght pacesetters headers + 1.6rr + custom pc tuning going on soon hopefully "

Comment

Originally posted by LoudLT1
                              i was looking at the Taylor's Spiro Pro custom set of OVC wires has anyone installed them...? eddie

Yep, have them on my car. They work great, look good too.

KnightFire
                              1993 Formula Firebird
                              Check Homepage for mods and photos...

KnightFire's Lair

Amsoil Dealer

Comment

Working...
                              X