Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suspension difference between firebird and formula?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension difference between firebird and formula?

Whats the difference. My dads firebird is a little worn down and i told him that instead of selling it i wanted to fix it up and he could use my car for the time being. How different is the suspension on the two cars. I was thinking of dropping something like a 302 into the car, carbed and maybe a 4 speed manual. How much different are the suspensions? I know i need to do new motor mounts and stuff and i know that im gunna have to get the computer reworked, hopefully i can find a PFI 302 but what else do i need?

What years are you asking about?
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
      What years are you asking about?
      1994 sorry

Comment

Joe,
        A 302 is a Ford engine. I think that swapping motors would be a major PITA. If you want to make it go, theres some performance parts out there for the 6 cyl.

The general consensus around the forum is that swapping motors on these cars isnt worth it unless you have a complete donor car.
        96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
        11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
          Joe,
          A 302 is a Ford engine. I think that swapping motors would be a major PITA. If you want to make it go, theres some performance parts out there for the 6 cyl.

The general consensus around the forum is that swapping motors on these cars isnt worth it unless you have a complete donor car.

yes 302 is a ford engine, but its also the z28 engine from 69 which is what im looking for not the 5.0 from ford. Its all for practical experience. I probably won't do the swap to a different engine but i saw pacesetter has a pair of headers for the car, maybe a new cat back and a t-5 swap to give the car a little rebirth. The fun part is going to be painting the car with my dad, the spray gun and compressor are going to be quite the challenge.

Campbell tell me when you go to the track next time, im thinking about going wednesday because i get out of class at 2 and im already half way to the track at RIT so let me know when you are going, maybe ill catch you there sometime.

Comment

Originally posted by darkz711
            Campbell tell me when you go to the track next time, im thinking about going wednesday because i get out of class at 2 and im already half way to the track at RIT so let me know when you are going, maybe ill catch you there sometime.
            Great! I will let you know....probably in a couple of weeks.
            96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
            11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

a 302 chevy mo tor is a small stoker motor why don't u stroke for more cubic inches it would be alot cheaper and there is no replacement for displacement i would go 383 or 388

Comment

Originally posted by jrobe2_80
                a 302 chevy mo tor is a small stoker motor why don't u stroke for more cubic inches it would be alot cheaper and there is no replacement for displacement i would go 383 or 388

I could go for something like that but a 302 is cheaper than an LT1 and the car has a 207 in it right now, so a small stroker is a huge change. Dunno what im gunna do about performance yet still sanding the body

Comment

a 302 if i remember right is 327 block with a 283 crank 350 block is alot cheaper

Comment

Originally posted by jrobe2_80
                    a 302 if i remember right is 327 block with a 283 crank 350 block is alot cheaper
                    correct on the 302. Why build a 302 if you can have a 350 for less money? GM only built it because rules at the racing circuit limited motors to 5.0 liters.

I am assuming that the car you are asking about is a V6. The fourth generation f-bodies are very different mechanically from V6 to V8. Converting a V6 car to V8 requires too many parts to be financially practical. You are better off selling the car and buying one with a V8 in it. The only way to do it and control expenses is to purchace a wrecked V8 car and transfer all the parts from one car to the other.
                    Tracy
                    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                    Current Mods:
                    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Working...
                    X