Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Audio Opinions...

Hey guys,
    I need to get some highs for my 91 RS Convertable. I already have a set of Q-Forms kick panels & a Pioneer DEH-P7600MP. I havent decided on if I am going to amp the highs or not. (I probably will eventually) Since this car is a convertible, I need to get some highs that will get pretty loud but say clean. I have never had Alpine Highs before, but I have heard good things about them. I was thinking about getting a set of 5 1/4" Components up front & a pair of 6X8's for the rear. Bass will be provided by an Audiobahn Alum10Q. What do you guys think of Alpine highs? They are pretty well priced. (That makes me worry) My 2nd choice is the same setup but with Boston Acustics highs. They cost quite a bit more, but I KNOW they sound amazing.

Tell me what you think...
    Mark B
    No F-Body right now

Just an opinion but you absolutely cannot beat Boston Acoustics.
    NBM '02 Z, SLP Lid, Corsa Cat-Back
    (SOLD 07/03/2004)

Comment

Must agree with the Boston Acoustics.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
      Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
      6.2L/382.97 ci
      Custom PROM Dyno tuned
      WCT-5 speed
      BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
      Boss MS 18" Rims
      Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
      Custom Dual exhaust
      1LE upgrade
      Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
      In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

Originally posted by Coop '02Z
        Just an opinion but you absolutely cannot beat Boston Acoustics.

Boston's are okay. I have 2 sets of the Alpine type R 6.5 " components running off of an MTX 90x4 amp. It sounds really good. For your '91 you might want some 6.5s in the kick panels, and you can also run an adapter for either a set of 6.5, 5 1/4 , or no adapter for the 6x9's. I love alpine.

Comment

I have listened to Boston's next to MB Quartz and Plok Audio MOMO components and the Bostons's weren't as accuarate. I have always been a big fan of MB Quartz but I gotta say the Polk MM's sounded better. Even alot of the guys at Custom Sounds liked the Polk's better.

My .02

Comment

If you are looking for high's, I would reccomend MB Quarts. If you are going to spend the dough on a good set of tweeters, you are probably gonna want to use an amp though. Hard to get a good balance to mix the highs with the rest of the system without an amp to adjust, and also to filter out the distortion.
            1995 Firebird Formula
            (A4 3.23)Ram Air w/ K&N, TransGo Shift Kit w/3 washers ,SLP~Shorty headers, LoudMouth, Air Foil, LineLocks. Catco Cat. Hypertech 160. TB Bypass. MSD~8.5mm. Walbro 255lph. FT MAF ends. LT4KM. BMR~Adj LCA's, Rear sway, Panhard rod. HAL QA1 rear shocks. Random Tech adj TQ arm. Nitto NT555R's. Covered in Zaino. 13.466@103.85 N/A. [1.948 60' 13.410 @ 102.66 11/20/05]

Comment

If you want accurate sound, stay away from oval speakers. Build some plates and put some 5.25/tweet combos in the rear panels. I'd do a 6.5/tweet combo in the kicks, because to be sonically accurate most of the sound has to come from the front.

I run all MB Quart in my car, although Boston, Polk's high end, and Diamond Audio are all very good equipment as well.

One other thing you need to remember, you're gonna have to spend some bank. The only way to get quality sound out of a drop top is with power, which means high end speakers. Quart and Polk's low end stuff won't cut it with the kind of power you need, so be prepared to spend some money.
              "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Working...
              X