Short in electrical system?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short in electrical system?

Wow has it been a while since I stopped by the forum! I have a bit of a problem with the electrical system in the '99 T/A. Seems that every time I put in a battery, within the course of a month it's dead. I can't even jump the car, and the battery doesn't take a charge after recharging for 24 hours type dead. I have no idea why the pull on the battery. Anyone have any advice as to where to start a search for a short in the system of a 'bird? At this point I don't think I can afford to have a mechanic go searching around for a short for three hours!

Thanks,

Tig
    '99 T/A WS6 w/ Borla cat-back, K&N, SLP SFC, SLP STB, BMR boxed LCA's, BMR Adj. torque arm, BMR panhard rod, BMR springs, and Short Stick
    (a list I know, but if I don't put it here, I'll never write it down anywhere else)

yep, shorts suck.
    luckily, i dont think mine is too bad, i get the spark when hookin up the batt, but other then that, i haven't even noticed it.

i've got no idea though, you'de pretty much have to unhook one thing at a time, or start pulling fuses.
    '83 Z28 Camaro. 350/325HP, 3:73's, comp.cam, hedman headers, 650 carter carb, 1 inch spacer, edelbrock performer, K&N, 3" flowmaster, t-tops, 18" Torq thrust-II's and a big bad 4" cowl.

Comment

You probably are going to be searching for a parasitic draw, not a short.

The first step is to take off the negative terminal of the battery and run an ordinary test light from the cable to the battery post. If you have a significant draw the light should light up.

Then start removing fuses until the light goes out. You have now isolated the circuit. You will need a wiring diagram, but from there it a matter of probing around in that circuit with a meter or test light to find where there is a constant power to.
      96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
      11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Take a Multi-meter and stick it inline on the positive terminal (not parallel) and see how much of a draw you are getting MUST USE AMPS setting. make sure its a draw first then if it isnt you can look at the charging system. I have had alternators that were charging at 11 ish amps and the car was drawing to much so it slowly drained the batt. over time.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
        Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
        6.2L/382.97 ci
        Custom PROM Dyno tuned
        WCT-5 speed
        BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
        Boss MS 18" Rims
        Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
        Custom Dual exhaust
        1LE upgrade
        Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror