finding a turbo for a '98 V6 Camaro

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finding a turbo for a '98 V6 Camaro

hey, sorry if this question has been asked before, i've searched the forums and i'm new
    do any of you know where i can go about getting info (or a site that actually sells them) on putting a turbo on the 3800 series II engine? i found one other site yesterday but it didn't seem very legit and some of the links weren't working so i couldn't really see anything about them. from what i've read, people are getting around 340hp at the wheels by turboing it. like i said, sorry if this has been asked before.

thanks for the help

I'm sure most people on this board would recommend dropping in a V-8, its just more economical. But I too am wondering about adding foced induction to my V-6 (except mines a 95). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by and11200
      I'm sure most people on this board would recommend dropping in a V-8, its just more economical. But I too am wondering about adding foced induction to my V-6 (except mines a 95). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Actually, if you could find a turbo kit for the car, that would be the hot ticket. Converting to a V8 will be a major PITA without a donar car.
      96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
      11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

actually, I have never heard anyone on this board recommend swapping a v8. They suggest buying a car with a v8 already in it, than the swap. I hear there are some good go fast mods for the v6.

Sorry I don't know where to find a turbo for a domestic, but I know a few import sites.

Have you tried turbonetics.com?

I would suggest selling your car and taking the 5k or so you would spend on turbo'ing it, and get a nice ls1 f-body.
        97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

I think a 3800 V6 with a turbo on it would be sweet. Dont let anyone discourage you. You would have some seroius power if you did it right. I've wanted to see a nice turbo 3800 car for a long time.

But if you decide on a V8, you are better off selling your car and buying a V8 car. Unless of course you have a complete running parts car to swap the parts from.
          Tracy
          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
          Current Mods:
          SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

What is the compression of the N/A 3800? I know the GTP supercahrged one is built for boost... but does the N/A version share the same bottom end?

If not... you are going to have to build that motor for boost -- i.e. low compression and forged bottom end. And that plus the cost of the turbo, plus the cost of beefing up the drivetrain would likely cost you more than selling your car, and buying an LT1 or maybe even an LS1 car.

PS - where in Michigan are you?
            Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

i havent seen a turbo kit for one yet, email these guys Info@f1dyno.com see what they have, i know they built a custom twin turbo setup for there viper, and there honda cbr 929rr. They used to be called cm performance, and they moved and changed names to F1 Dyno. if they cant find one they will probably set you up with a price on building one. you may have to build a lower end if you plan on getting crazy with it. but if you want just a few pounds and nice kick in the pants when you hit the gas, then you should be all set with the proper components and setup with your stock lower end.

I say run what you want, you gotta v-6 run it, i have a lot of respect for people who do what they want and make it work for them. thats what a CUSTOM car is all about, not being like every one else.

good luck and try there site too

F1DYNO
              2000 WS6 T/A M6. Monster stage 3 clutch, flowmaster cat back, 4.10's, SLP lid, Hurst shifter.
              1996 Mustang GT 5 speed STOCK DD
              past rides:
              1996 Mustang GTS bright tangerine orange
              2003 Mach 1 azure blue drag car (10.90@118 record holder for fastest N/A mach)
              1969 Mach 1 house of colors candy apple red393 stroker 100 shot (10.829@125 in street trim)
              2003 Mach 1 Torched red FRPP aluminator/vortech 666RWHP
              2008 Mustang GT JDM stroker long block, Saleen 2.3 twin screw
              1980 Mustang L 13.7: 418 stroker
              1994 Z28 A4 rebuilt from wreck
              1994 Z28 A4 totaled

Comment

honestly, camaro's weren't made to have v6's in them. That car was not made to be fast. Get the v8!!
                97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

Comment

turbo i was reading about on another forum was $3,000, and if you lived by the guy selling them he'd install it for $400
                  a turboed v6 would be a good sleeper though

Comment

$3400 for an installed turbo system! Sounds fishy. Take this into account...

Upgraded entire fuel system. Fuel line, fuel pump, injectors, etc... You will need MORE fuel volume, and you MUST be able to deliver more fuel, because you're going to be burning a lot more fuel over an NA when you're under boost... I'd look into 750cc injectors.
                    Engine management to run your new setup -around $1K
                    Forged crank, lower compression forged pistons, stronger rods, etc.. Bottom end will NEED to be rebuilt if you want it to be able to force a lot of boost.
                    Car may need a stronger cast head.
                    New exhaust manifolds.
                    Exhaust system to fit the turbo headers.
                    Intercooled is the only real way to go, so you'll want that.
                    Intercooler piping.
                    Find a spot for your newly reloacted air filter. It won't be going directly to the TB, it'll be on the turbo. The intercooler will run to the TB.
                    You will need to make room for the IC piping... Maybe have to lose AC or something? Just a guess...

A turbo v6 would be pretty sweet, but in all honesty is not worth the money. If you're going to do it, you have to do it right. You don't want to run just enough boost to make a bov sound off do you? That's what it sounds like you'll get for $3400... I wouldn't buy into that, personally.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Comment

i see
                      not like i can afford it now anyways
                      was just trying to find prices on what it'd be

Comment

here's something for you:

http://www.3800performance.com/ct_turbo_kit.htm

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                        Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                        B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                        Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                        Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Working...
                        X